MK-U47 - build thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got mine in the mail on Monday.  I'm in the middle of a lot of work and I probably won't have much time until Sept., but i can't wait to get these started.  Still need to get the parts together for the psu units also. 
The kits look great, and i'm trying to decide on the right capsule for them.  I'm leaning towards a pair of Thiersch Blue Lines, but i'm not sure if i can swing that amount of coin yet.  I have a Beezneez K7 from the group buy that i might try out with it first.  can't wait! ;D

hey max,

which height do you recommend for the capsule holder?
i saw there are spacers included in the kit. so which capsule holder height makes for optimum flexibility??

in the build description you tell us to paint the resistor pcb black. why?? i don't get it  ;D

all the best

The Flea M7 holder i used has a overall height of 56 mm.

Resistor/Transformer painting is just for cosmetic reasons, of course you can leave it as is or paint any other colour.
No magic tricks involved here ;-)

-Max

ioaudio said:
or paint any other colour.

yes. i thought about a nice pink colour  :D
just kidding.

i have the oppurtunity of joining a friend's order at Flea. I think you said that you use a Blue Line capsule by Thiersch together with the Flea capsule Holder. So Flea's Holder and Thiersch's Red Line capsule should be compatible, right??

all the best bernhard

Max,

can you please describe the connections on the tube connectors in more detail.
The pictures are difficult to interpret.
Something like a list of the connections in addition to the pictures.
e.g. Tube 1 pin 4 to pin 4 and 7 of tube 2 would be helpful.

Thank You.

Chef - i just added a (quickly drawn) pic which shows the tube connections.

Cowboy,
the reed contact is in a small black container.

It appears that i forgot to add two srews and nuts for mounting the tube socket in each kit.
Those are not critical, any M2,5 or M3(#3 or#4) screws can be used.
If you want, i can send those screws in an envelope, just contact me via email.

thanks,
Max

Max,

thanks for the drawing - this was exactly what I was looking for.
Attached is a picture of my just completeted built.

...now let's built the power supply.

Regards,

Christian

Attachments

• MK_U47_Mic_Web.jpg
    MK_U47_Mic_Web.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 199
Hi Max
I was progressing very well with my build, but unfortunately I clumsily broke the reed switch...
I now need to get a replacement, could you let me know what the required specifications are so I can order a new one?
Thanks!
Olly

How important is the 105V power supply? ... I mean is it necessarry to be exactly and stable 105V and how much the voltage variation influences the working of the mic?
Would the original schematics work? Could someone supply the schematics which is the best for using this mic?
I really don't need the pcb for this one as it is probaby simple enough to wire it p2p.
Thanks!

oh, and another thing...
@Max: what about that tube adapter that was mentioned earlier - for eventual changing the dual tube for vf14 ?

I bought the reed contacts localy, but this one should fit: http://uk.farnell.com/coto-technology/ri-70gp0715/reed-switch-spst-7mm/dp/1081702

For the DIY version of this mic i left out the VF14 socket, since the single tubes are changed easier this way.

-Max

Max: I got my kit today. Looks great! I have a question about the tubes you included: Are they tested, selected for low noise etc?

Thanks!

I included the tubes just to get you started, but they are from a batch which behaved quite good.
as noted, give them 48 hours to burn in before you judge their noise.
I'm also planning to sell burned-in and tested tubes at a later point., first have to set up the burn-in station.

Man!!!  ;D

Max, just received mine.
Its fantastic!!!

This thing is so heavy duty!
Can't wait to start.

Thanks
Neil

Category 5 said:
Comes up a lot, but anyone have a lead on where we can get some cool custom mic badges made up?

...hey bro, not sure if the site is only temporarily down or not, but this was previously one of the sources for custom engraved mic badges:
http://prodigy-eng.com/services/laser-engraving/

Back