MK-U47 - build thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the wiring plan:

Mk-U47_Wiring.jpg

Any screw smaller 1/8" will work, length is not a problem.

Category 5 said:
Anyone interested in pre-made PSU's for this mic?  Beesneez mentioned a possible group rate for done PSUs.  the regular price was $300 U.S. so if a few more people are into it maybe we could get the cost down.

I want do to Chunger's BadAss PSU as soon as it's available, but that might not be sooner than later so I'm looking into this option for right now.

I'm in !

fishdrop said:
i did a Mic/Mic PreAmp comparison/shootout.
candidates were Max's MK-U47 and a friend's Lauten Tube Microphone which he likes best at the moment.
PreAmps: RME's Fireface, Black Lion Audio's Auteur, Bruno's SSL 4K & Golden Age 1073 Neve Clone

The Files are 24 bit, 44,1 khz recorded with my RME Multiface.

relax and enjoy:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/841029/Lauten%20U47%20Vergleich%20mit%20tollen%20PreAmps.zip

Nice...do you know which Lauten tube mic that is? (Oceanus?)...both mics sound very good, but I suspect, depending on the density of the backing track, that the Lauten might sit better in a mix on that particular voice...it can be beneficial in these kind of comparisons to sample the vocals solo raw, and also vocals raw with backing track...often, what sounds best solo, doesn't always translate as such in the mix...

...what capsule is in your MK-U47?...

kidvybes said:
Nice...do you know which Lauten tube mic that is? (Oceanus?)...both mics sound very good, but I suspect, depending on the density of the backing track, that the Lauten might sit better in a mix on your particular voice...it can be beneficial in these kind of comparisons to sample the vocals solo raw, and also vocals raw with backing track...often, what sounds best solo, doesn't always translate as such in the mix...

Hey i have the red line capsule by Siegfried Thiersch.
backing track to hear would be nice, but we were really focused an the mics and pres an really forgot to use a backing track. but i will do this as well the next time.  ;D

i'll ask my friend which lauten model that is.

i'm really amazed by the different sounds the pres suck out of the mics. especially with the u47 the sounds vary from pre to pre. very very nice. next time we'll try a tube pre as well

my friend was singing. everytime he stood in front of the U47 he had a bright smile in his face. he said that the headphone sound with a u47 is like dyamite and really creates a creative atmosphere.

fishdrop said:
i'm really amazed by the different sounds the pres suck out of the mics. especially with the u47 the sounds vary from pre to pre. very very nice. next time we'll try a tube pre as well

my friend was singing. everytime he stood in front of the U47 he had a bright smile in his face. he said that the headphone sound with a u47 is like dyamite and really creates a creative atmosphere.

...true, but what I noticed is that the MK-U47 is so much bigger and warmer sounding, that it seems to pair nicely with the preamps that don't add to the size, thickness...IMHO, the cleaner preamps really bring out the best in the MK-U47, at least in this comparison...sounds wonderful!

MKU for me on pretty much all counts with that demo.  The Lauten has that sizzle that (if you like it) can bring a source forward in the mix, but it's hard to get rid of without botching the top end.  The MKU could easily stand as it does but would probably take a bit of high shelf well if you needed it to cut more.

Most people will mistake a boost in the highs for increased clarity, but it can often result in a source that's reluctant to sit down with the rest of the instruments in the track.

Im sure both mics could make a case for themselves in different situations, but here I like the 47.

fishdrop said:
candidates were Max's MK-U47 and a friend's Lauten Tube Microphone which he likes best at the moment.
PreAmps: RME's Fireface, Black Lion Audio's Auteur, Bruno's SSL 4K & Golden Age 1073 Neve Clone

relax and enjoy:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/841029/Lauten%20U47%20Vergleich%20mit%20tollen%20PreAmps.zip
Hey buddy, your u47 records are out of phase, judging on waveform.

o3misha said:
fishdrop said:

relax and enjoy:
Hey buddy, your u47 records are out of phase, judging on waveform.

Was just talking with a buddy who is a designer about this yesterday.  We were discussing how annoying it is that there is really no standard for polarity in mics, and especially old ones can be wired in reverse and cause grief.  This should definitely be corrected if the mic is to be used in any multi-mic situation. 

kcatthedog said:
ah couldn't you just flip the polarity in your daw ?

Well of course.  You could do it at the pre most of the time but it's a pain when you assume all of your mics have like polarity and find one is wired differently and causing phase issues. 

was on the road over the weekend and noticed that there were quite a few replies to my sound files.

does the original U47 have a phase flip, too?
or is it a problem with my specific one? i think i wired it according to original schematics.

changing the wires on output should not be a problem.

kcatthedog said:
Hey fishdrop,

by the way what psu are you using ?

thax for clips !

Hey, no problem. Thursday i will make some more clips with two singers (a rock voice & a reggae singer) and some other PreAmps.

i used zyances MK47 PSU PCB which was designed for Max's former PCB based U47 Clone. i did not populate the parts for patternswitch, because i don't need this feature for this mic, of course.

kidvybes said:
fishdrop said:

relax and enjoy:

Nice...do you know which Lauten tube mic that is? (Oceanus?)...both mics sound very good, but I suspect, depending on the density of the backing track, that the Lauten might sit better in a mix on that particular voice...it can be beneficial in these kind of comparisons to sample the vocals solo raw, and also vocals raw with backing track...often, what sounds best solo, doesn't always translate as such in the mix...

It was a Lauten Oceanus by the way. i really liked it. totally different from the 47, of course. focussed on high mids, Presence and overtones.

Thank you for the comparison files!
If you're unsure regarding polarity, it's easily tested with headphones on (try humming and switch polarity on your preamp for maximum received bass)

ioaudio said:
If you're unsure regarding polarity, it's easily tested with headphones on (try humming and switch polarity on your preamp for maximum received bass)

i did that exact same test with my MK-U47 and a friend's MK-U47.
checked waveforms and compared phase switch with headphones.

my mic is perfectly in phase. i don't know what made o3misha make that statement.

all the best

Just a picture of my (MK) U47. Brass and stainless steel. Thiersch Red line capsule. Very nice!
You should know that Thiersch now make capsule mounts again. No need to by from Flea.

Attachments

• MK-U47 naked small.jpg
    MK-U47 naked small.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 127

Latest posts

Back