What project do you want for Christmass, guys?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pacemaker said:
An overdrive/saturation/distortion unit ala Culture Vulture
with choices of toplogy irons/opamps/diodes/tubes ?
or a special multiband compressor ?

Culture Vulture: it already exists

Yep, there will be 3 band 6db/oct crossover/summer based on our circuit.

sr1200 said:
The talkback combiner comes up as "page not found" from the link on the CRM page... hint hint. ;)

We moved site to new faster hosting, so, there were buggies.

http://www.ij-audio.com/store/crmtalkback/tbk_comb/

works fine now.

>Pacemaker
thats what I meant. It was Igor who told me to go buy from Radial  :D

I believe nobody builds something like this

Attachments

• phasetonel.jpg
    phasetonel.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 82
isophase said:
A good Phase Correlation Meter pcb would be fantastic.
With mabe both meter driver AND a LED circuit to satisfy everyone. what do you think?
canford use to make one but they don't anymore and i think no one else in the wolrd is actualy making one (apart mabe from the big console manufacturer)
seriously it would be great and i'm sure a lot of people would be interrested in this PCB, eh?
;-)
jon

+1.

Some time ago, I did IN-13 based level meter with phase meter. 4xIN-13's, peak/avg, cool look and 40db of usefull range.
Besides IN13's are not very precision devices and you have to buy 10 to leave 6 with acceptable parameters,
and to get precision meter, the +150V power supply should be very stable, this worked out.
I replaced 2 of 4 IN13's in a meter which was working every day at least 6 hours from 2007 just a few weeks ago. Seems not bad.
3 other meters working fine from 2007 till now flawless. The phase meter circuit is simple and very useful.

shot said:
And what about a nice DYNAMIC EQ?

For instance Sontec (or any 5 band design), but with a sidechain on every band and a treshold and ratio pots to control how much gain (+ or -) is happening depending on how much signal crossed over the treshold.
That would be a killer for mastering and also precious for mixing nervous chicks singing lead vocals!
Yup i know... it's complicated... and would be expensive as hell...

Not as complicated actually. But it is a single-shot product. I can hint to that4301 datasheet and AES13-031 (google).
All you need is sontec red boards and some breadboarding with 4301.

fantomas said:
Cheap CRM.

On the way in White

sr1200 said:
Shot... youre close... analog multiband compressor!  YEAH!!! stereo operation for mastering.  Adjustable crossover points (either 3 or 4 band, i think 3 is enough personally...)

3 bands crossover/summer, agree

pachi2007 said:
-A phase tool would be great, something like Radial PhazeQ
-Why not just buy from Radial? If you want to diy his project, ask him for pcb/schematic .

It was just a reference cos Radial is 500 series, could be little labs or other company.

Can´t it be taken one step further? Maybe freq select/Q? That would be awesome.

I DIY cos I learn a lot through the process.
I rather support small bussines that big companies.
I rather try to fix it myself if I can instead of sending to Canada or wherever
It´s a great feeling when something you build yourself actually works.

Why build a envy looper or a bus comp? Why not buy from SPL or SSL or Alan Smart?  ;)

+1

Joechris said:
Dont be so hard on the Neve boys...You do have a few Neve projects yourself :) I like the idea of small PCBs for common tasks. Wonder why nobody has made a 12 step bal pad PCB for the Grayhill 3pole 12 step rotary that Audio Maintenance have in stock...I want a Eagle course for christmas..

Good point.

My skype is kapelevich.igor

1-2 hours kickstart is on me, the rest - when you already have a basic strategy - is just a google search

"Well, guys, I thought you're more creative." (Igor)

Ok, to be more creative, please surprise us with an analog brick wall:)
Like Maselec or Pendulum...

Completely missing from DIY stuff.

Thanks!

What about something like a stereo /ms widener? Not just plain side boost but with more control like with crossovers, pan per frequency etc. And with phase correlation metering of course.  ;D

challenge accepted.

a 4/5 band parametric eq with either pultec like resonance controls (boost/attn) or done sort of harmonic diatortion circuit. something that can be clean but also terrible distorted, only on focused.bands.

or a tg141212 eq (i can help you with info!)

prescott said:

Thanks!

So, find a way to make mastering grade 0.1 ms analog delay ;)

dagoose said:
What about something like a stereo /ms widener? Not just plain side boost but with more control like with crossovers, pan per frequency etc. And with phase correlation metering of course.  ;D

Bit different thing, but almost close:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=45919.0

soundsactive said:
challenge accepted.

a 4/5 band parametric eq with either pultec like resonance controls (boost/attn) or done sort of harmonic diatortion circuit. something that can be clean but also terrible distorted, only on focused.bands.

or a tg141212 eq (i can help you with info!)

TG12412 filters with all beauty of tones of inductors and freaky 1% cap values will be offered as bands of DC Uni-Q.
If you know exactly the ferrite material used in this eq, may be helpful, the rest like dcr/q/inductances info I already have.

Well, here is one of things you asked... for educational purpose only, 2 pcb sets per person limited:

Attachments

• envy_l_tdzzzz.png
    envy_l_tdzzzz.png
    491.2 KB · Views: 145
prescott said:

Thanks!

I like that idea!

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1...

I would love a PCB for a plate reverb driver/spring reverb driver. Simple stuff I know but the PCB's make life easy.

Yes yes, I know Christmas has already passed...

home_listening said:
I would love a PCB for a plate reverb driver/spring reverb driver. Simple stuff I know but the PCB's make life easy.

Yes yes, I know Christmas has already passed...

Checked that out?
I'm going to try that circuit when i have some time, and design a board for it, but will home etch it.

http://sound.westhost.com/project34.htm

T.

Winetree: had to arrive. From here, tracking shows they are not returned. In any case, drop me a mail and check if address
you wrote when checked out is correct; if still not received - worst case, will reship.

jensenmann: many thanx! I have to check it. BBC did something like this too.

Well....

What I understood, is, actually, some people are stacked with clones. Mm... OK :)
Arrrrr, dudes, YOUR sound is your hands/knowledge/ego/state of mind, but any clone/"original" gadget will make it instead of YOU.

Well, many guys with open mind like to make great sounding gadgets which are easy to build and not requires a mortgage.
And here is a big hole - there are lot of projects at garage DIY level which costs a lot to assemble,
some projects at cool level but reqires tones of time, patience and knowledge to assemble right....
And not much adapted for easy DIY and cool performance.

I starting the White PCB Series - affordable and easy to build, but still in high quality range.

This project for example will be offered very soon and I can promise great sound/performance for very acceptable budget.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=50643

To mention some upcoming:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=50698.0

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=50710.0

3-way crossover/summer, zero field input transformer summing amp, and much more. Just stay tuned!

Mail: igor_jazz at yahoo
FB: Kapelevich Igor
PM...right, is always full :)

Hi Igor,
Not sure if these (clones) already exist around here, but how about a 24 (or 32) channel analog summing mixer (sexy like the Shadow Hills Equinox) or I'd also be into a 2-buss EQ (something similar to the Manley Massive Passive?).

Edit: Just read previous posts, Guess I'm not alone!  :D

If you want something no one has done before (at least that I've seen yet), here is my weird idea:
A hardware version analog parametric EQ that operates the same way Waves plugin EQ's look on screen. So it physically would be laid out like a 31band graphic EQ rack, but there are 6 moveable faders (bands). They not only move up and down (boost/cut) but side to side (to select Freq). HPF / LPF options on the 2 outside bands. Not sure how the interface would mechanically work, but it might turn some heads :eek:

-Jim

Back