Help selecting scope probes

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

I just picked up a Tek TAS 465 100 mhz scope with no probes.
I will be using it for tube amps as well as low voltage analog work.
Can anyone recommend probe types and good source?

I gota scope a while back that came with cheap Chinese probes. I ended up using them for a while because i kept forgetting to buy new ones, and to be honest they work fine up to about 60khz. Then they get super blurry, I'm guessing bad shielding, high capacitance, cheap.

Most of the time I just use a very basic probe with crocodile clips.  For basic tests you just want to see if a unit  passes a 1kHz tone smoothly, & I find it more convenient having croc clips.  I also have some bnc leads with xlr & jack etc & some proper probes, but in reality don't really use the proper scope probs that much, unless I have specific needs for superior bandwidth or probing around at different stages in a circuit.

yeah what Rob said, for 20 to 20k you can make a set of cheap probes, just go to radio shack and get some bnc connectors,

maybe buy some coax if you do not have any old patch cords around,

i like the mini clips on the end, response will be fine but if you want to measure noise or any real small signal voltages, you will get some fuzz below 10 millivolts, but even some of the best leads do this so no biggy,

Thanks for the feedback    looks like I will go for a set of offshore probes the price is dirt cheap

Latest posts

Back