Phoenix Audio DRS1R/500 and 51xAudio lunchbox

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolivdacom

Hello,
I just received my new Phoenix Audio DRS1R/500 mic preamp (500 series).
http://www.phoenixaudio.net/products/drs-1r/

Before I plug this preamp to my 51x Audio Lunchbox, I would like to know if the pins match between the two devices? 
Any Idea about that? Am I ok to use this preamp with 51x Audio Lunchbox without mods or jumper configuration?

The pin configuration for the different lunchbox are attached...
I didn't find any specification about that from Phoenix audio...

Thanks to all for your help!
;D

Best regards

Olivier

Attachments

• pin config 4 lunchbox.png
    pin config 4 lunchbox.png
    213.4 KB · Views: 38
The 51x is fully compatible with vpr500 spec gear. Just make sure you are careful when inserting the card edge, so you don't aim too low in the back plane connector and put 24v where it shouldn't be.

Thanks for your answer!
So, I test it and I have some issues with my Lunchbox.
I already have two JensenAmp and two Pheonix audio DRS1R/500.
When I power up Two JensenAmp (slots 1 & 2) with one DRS1, all is ok (with both DSR1 units and both slots 3 & 4). It means that my slots 3 & 4 (where I connect the two DSR1) and the two preamps (DSR1) works.
But when I power up my lunchbox with the two JensenAmp and the two DSR1, the +16V shut down quickly thanks to the 1,5A / 250V fast blow fuse. I have to buy some new fuses in order to test again. If you have some good advices to fix this... it should be helpful!
:eek:

Thanks
8)

I would change to a slow blow fuse... I would bet that there are some large filtering caps on all the board that will suck up a lot of current until fully charged. So, use a slow blow, which will withstand the inrush current for a few seconds before blowing.

No, I can't test it on the bench... I've got two. As I said, both works well when they are alone... Or when I put both in my lunchbox slots 7 to 11 (It doesn't works on slots 1 to 6...)
I don't understand?!

Some friend of mine has lunchbox but it is the same I own (51x audio) . I'll try this way.
Otherwise, I must use warranty and send preamps for repairs. It was some gears already used and tested (?) by professional people before they sold it to me... I think the problem is elswhere but I will ask them, one never knows...
Could it be the LM350T +16V regulator the cause of my problems?

Another silly question:
Is it ok if the orientation of the 18 pin card edge connectors are not the same for all?
:eek:

Well,
I test again and again and it seems that sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
What a great diagnostic!!!  ;D
It is not really a problem of slots (6 or 256 or 12 or 1...). To conclude, it works more often on the right side of the lunchbox (always good in slots 10 and 11, never good in slots 1 and 2, sometimes it works with slots 6 and 7). I didn't find anything else...
I have to try with an other lunchbox and PSU...

and thanks for your help!!!

Are the slot card edge connectors "keyed"? they need a bit of nylon stuck in between the pins where the cut out between the 24v pins and the standard 500 edge conn is, to keep the 500 cards correctly orientated in the connector.
There is a pic of this in the 51x rack thread somewhere...

My 18 pin card edge connectors are not "keyed". But I just tried it and it change nothing.
+16V drops with two modules (not one)...

The DSR-1R runs on 16V from the card slot, but the circuit runs on 24V "thanks to a special power supply built in" which would be a switch mode supply (a lot of audio engineers are afraid of switchers because they were really noisy and dirty in the 90s, and are easy design incorrectly. So it makes sense that they don't want to come out and say it on their site). It sounds like they are sucking up way too much power at start up. Without knowing more about the switching supply (type of controller, etc.) I can't say what kind of startup current is appropriate, but I would email phoenix about it.

With inrush current being questioned, you could have the PSU on with no modules installed, and then plug them in, one at a time. I don't know the exact process you have been using. I would highly recommend some sort of "key" like Niels has mentioned so there is no possibility of incorrect installation. Of course, try this at your own risk. I won't take any responsibility for smoke or fire  ;) API modules can be hot swapped with no problems.

Like said before,  try them in another Lunchbox first!

I will never understand the "key" if you do not hot-swap (screwed down there is no chance to hit the wrong pins),
and I don't know why you should hot-swap if you are not on air.

However, Jeff and I are allowed to have different opinions :)

If it is inrush current it is neither a rack nor a PSU failure.
Excuse me, but even if it takes more current than allowed - two modules with this PSU ...
There must be a major fault.

It sounds like they are sucking up way too much power at start up.
With inrush current being questioned (...)

The problem here is not inrush current during start up simply because it continues after that. Tell me if I'm wrong. I tried with slow blow fuse and +16V rails never come back to nominal value...
However, I don't need to plug modules with PSU on. I always did it with PSU off and power cable unplug (so I don't have to wait capacitors to be unload)
I only followed "classic" or "common sense" procedure.

I can't say what kind of startup current is appropriate, but I would email phoenix about it.
Yes, good Idea! I asked them only for pin configuration...

If it is inrush current it is neither a rack nor a PSU failure.
Excuse me, but even if it takes more current than allowed - two modules with this PSU ...
There must be a major fault.
I totally agree with that.

Well, there is something wrong in my set up. It seems that DRS1 are on the front line but I'm not absolutely sure...
I think that all this good stuff are well designed and can run together without any problems.
I'm gonna try with an other lunchbox (and PSU and preamps using 16V...) as soon as I can and see what happens!!! 8)

Latest posts

Back