Power Supply problems and power reg questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JohnRoberts said:
Stop press...  For a 7815 to output more voltage than it's input is not reasonable. Either one of two things is going on,
A) Something externally is dumping current/voltage into that PS output.
B) Your measurement is not reflecting accurately what is going on.  +18V on the unregulated input is marginally low. IIRC the basic 7815 had something like a 3V drop out so 18V is about the minimum to support 15V output, but this does not remotely explain an output higher than the input...  You may have stumbled upon free energy, you can use to make a perpetual motion machine.  8) 8)
Hanfri, please check the pinout for the 7815 on the datasheet.

Then check it meticulously with your PCB.  Draw up your circuit diagram and check each node for DC resistance to each expected component connection.  Check off each node as you do this.

Then check DC resistance between the pins on the 7815 & the rectifier & capacitors on the transformer.

It looks like you have IN & OUT mixed up.  This might have killed both 7815 & 7915.

Hi

First of all; I etched a hand-drawn pcb for a power supply using lm317-337 and it works nicely, now I will start checking the EQ.

I've uploaded the Schematic and the Pcb layout, as I said, they're part of the Neeno pdf document about the SSL9k preamp. I've built a pair of these in the past year with good results, but for some reason this time it didn't work... BTW, this time I wasn't using the +48V section.

The board is a bit canibalised right now, home etched and so many replaced comps, a pair of traces are broken. So I will go with the new psu and give a new try to this when my photosensitive boards arrive in Febraury. It became personal...

Ricardo thanks for the tips. I'm almost sure I was not mixing Vunreg and Vreg pins on the regulators.

Thinking about it today, I realized the only components I didn't replace at all were the 100nF polyester caps (C6, C7, C8 & C9 in the schematic). Maybe the wrong oriented cap (C2) damaged any of the other caps in any way so it made no longer propperly work the psu?

Attachments

• pag3.jpg
    pag3.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 34
The copper layout is 'as seen through the PCB'.
If the copper layout seen from the copper side is identical to the picture, the orientation of the regulators is wrong.

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

We have a winner...

I have to apologize everybody who answered here.  Really sorry for the lost time.

:-[

no need for apology, the Lab is all about tracking down problems and sometimes the problems can be tricky,

and everybody learns new stuff when different problems are solved,

ricardo said:
Hanfri, please check the pinout for the 7815 on the datasheet.

Then check it meticulously with your PCB.  Draw up your circuit diagram and check each node for DC resistance to each expected component connection.  Check off each node as you do this.

Then check DC resistance between the pins on the 7815 & the rectifier & capacitors on the transformer.

It looks like you have IN & OUT mixed up.  This might have killed both 7815 & 7915.
I'm gonna claim this would have pinpointed the problem if Hanfri had bothered to do so.  8)

ricardo said:
I'm gonna claim this would have pinpointed the problem if Hanfri had bothered to do so.  8)

Yes, actually you should be the winner  ;D

Well, I learned a few things with this: Some theory about Power supplies, To double check the orientation of the paper when insolating the pcb's, and to think a bit more before posting here ;)

Anyway, have a nice 2013

Latest posts

Back