Neumann M49 Clone : D-M49c and D-M49b Tube Microphone Build Thread. (+Sample)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have done so many mics i cant even remmeber that is why i guess i describe the sample in words  :),

wich sample would that be again ,

Best,
Dan,

Yes,
the same mic,  but this one is biased properly also  ;) and have the Chuckd M7 i dont have a C anymore need another body  ;D

i guess it will update during this tuning process,

Best,
Dan,

That was the -b version, too, wasn't it? (And it was after you updated the PSU.)

Here is a simple sample of the D49b,  you can hear very well  that i fall of my chair at the end  ;D

Enjoy :
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/43869772/D-M49BC/Build%20Folder%20M49c/d49b.wav

BTW please don't remove the older sample.  :)

Just put them both above,

Both B version ,

BEst,
D

OK, I listened.

Those two new samples (speech and guitar) are very nice indeed.

But ...

... that earlier sample with the Peluso capsule (who'd have thunk it) really rocks my boat. I'm floored every time I play it. Yes, you were probably closer on the mic (proximity). And yes, I know it's only one sample. But it has that sound. Big, full, intimate. Clarity too, but nowhere harsh. Clear sibilants but oh so smooth. Etc.
Wrong bias? Then I want wrong bias.  :p Do you keep notes?
It strongly reminds me of the Horch RM2J in red (pure cardioid) mode. No coincidence maybe since that mic was inspired by the M49 (although it has a U47-style body). That is a 6000 dollar microphone BTW.

Careful, Dan is going to raise his rates. Just kidding. Sounds to me like the proximity is different. I've got a couple different m7 and 47 capsules to listen to for those specific differences in proximity between the two styles.

I really like the sound of the b being as you describe "smooth yet still with nice sibilance" type of thing. Will be cool to compare to the c too.

These tools are awesome to say the least.

Cheers,
j

MagnetoSound said:
gary o said:
http://proel.com/category/products/ldf410

Any use

Very cheap. Anyone looked inside?

It looks a lot like the KAM Crystal LDC. If it is the same internally, it has SMT parts and less room than a MXL 990. A google images search of "kam crystal mic" brought up internal pics of the PCB and capsule (34mm K67-type). I hope that helps.

-James-

micaddict said:
OK, I listened.

Those two new samples (speech and guitar) are very nice indeed.

But ...

... that earlier sample with the Peluso capsule (who'd have thunk it) really rocks my boat. I'm floored every time I play it. Yes, you were probably closer on the mic (proximity). And yes, I know it's only one sample. But it has that sound. Big, full, intimate. Clarity too, but nowhere harsh. Clear sibilants but oh so smooth. Etc.
Wrong bias? Then I want wrong bias.  :p Do you keep notes?
It strongly reminds me of the Horch RM2J in red (pure cardioid) mode. No coincidence maybe since that mic was inspired by the M49 (although it has a U47-style body). That is a 6000 dollar microphone BTW.

I beleive the Bias was set just a tad to low in plate current from my calculation it ran at 0.6ma instead of the 0.7ma as per the spec ,  the peluso capsule gave excellent results indeed, and finally compared figured of gain with the mic and everthing is perfect on this stage require between 40-50 db for a full operation signal , i was to reinstall the peluso in there but i had a infortunate accident with it and it died  :(

Overall can't be happier with this one,  as soon as i have another micbody i will restick the M49c circuit in it and have a more comparable results between the 2
will keep you posted, for sure,

Best,
Dan,

micaddict said:
i was to reinstall the peluso in there but i had a infortunate accident with it and it died

Ouch.  :eek:
Re-skin?

What mic pre do you use BTW?

The Famous Martin EZ1073 Pre.  Just love em,  all sample i take are from those,
Best,
Dan,

Hi guys !

I'm starting a 49b build, but I still have to sort out a few things...

1/ what kind of wiring should I do to run the PSU on the European 240 V main ?

2/ just checking my combo will do : 49b + cinemag 2480 + 5840W + RK47 or RK7 (from parts) ? Anything looking wrong from there ?

Thanks !

Back