Neumann M49 Clone : D-M49c and D-M49b Tube Microphone Build Thread. (+Sample)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah should be fine, need to look at both my m49 psu as I noticed the pot didnt change anything and having a stepped pot is much more precise.
Think I've missed a connection on the psu that's why it doesnt work!!

Getting 116v and lower when testing B+ with adjustable 100k pot for pattern selection but not hearing any difference between them when plugged in?
I have the link from c1 over to the other connection.
Have set H+ to 3.9v.

Am I missing something here?

I'm adjusting from the psu btw.

Is the polarization voltage (XLR pin 6 in schematic) changing when switching positions?  You want 0v with 0 resistors, 60v with 4 resistors, and 120v with all 8 resistors.
Have you wired the switch to OM, COM (wiper), and F8?

I've got just a normal 100k potentiometer in there at the moment, lorlins not arrived.
Yes I've wired them to 0M, com and f8, just need to check they are correct.
When testing wiper and 0M CCW I get 0v and CW I get 116v.
On the schematic it says 116v, but you said 120v?

Sorry, I was looking at the M269c schematic, which is 120v.  Have you implemented switch S2?  If not, it should be closed to get the back diaphragm signal to the gate.

I've got a link from c1 to the isolated pin where C4/Gate/R5/back capsule, will have to check this is all correct.

also I have a small trimmer in for the H+ adjustment, trying to find the value of it on the schematic and it doesnt say? on the BOM i can see a 250ohm wirewound.

is it a wirewound 250ohm?

Have changed my H+ trim pot as it was totally shot as I'd only put in a trimmer!!
Put in a 100R same as my other psu and I can only get 4.7v as lowest!!
On my other psu it has the same but I can get 3.9v to 4.2v with the 100R pot?
What should I change, the pot or the resistors?

What tube are you using?  The AC701 heater voltage is critical...4.7 volts is way too high....you may try a 150 ohm pot or wire a 50 ohm 1 w resistor in series with the pot input....you can try loading the heater supply with 40 ohms 1 watt resistor (to simulate a AC701 heater) and measure the voltage across it....determine what works before connecting a real AC701....

im not hearing any pattern change when i adjust the stepped pot, whats the best way to check, as when i test the pot im getting the different voltages just doesnt seem to be changing the diaphragm?
i've got the link in from c1 to grid/C4, back capsule and R5.

After finishing a round version I am starting a square version mostly for instrument recording. I want to deviate a little from the original design by leaving out the feedback resistor (5M) and c4 capacitor ( 8pf). I have a 3u audio m7 capsule but I wanted to ask if anyone has tried a ck12 capsule with this circuit. I am thinking of the maiku ck12 which is a little darker. Also if anyone has experience with the Luke  audio la-9 capsule and would like to chime in it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

So just finished a version of the square m49. I wanted it mostly for instrument recording...more accurate sound and it came out really great. Low and high filters removed. Also the mica 8pf was not installed. I used a Luke audio LA9 capsule ( cardioid only), Ami bv11r, super pup MP coupling cap, silmic 22uf cap.
Recorded some acoustic guitar and it sounds awesome...great reach too from a distance. “Pleasantly real”

Attachments

• CB3A3B06-ACEB-4FF6-9508-3FBFAF8C2FA1.jpeg
    CB3A3B06-ACEB-4FF6-9508-3FBFAF8C2FA1.jpeg
    416.7 KB · Views: 56
A little update...I changed the capsule to a maiku ck12 and...I managed to fit a Russian k75 as coupling cap. That was tiiiight...this cap is huge.
Man this combo sounds good. It’s becoming one of my favorite mics. Although all filters are removed it sounds extremely balanced. High end is perfect without sibilance.

Attachments

• A4DB9C57-5E4B-461C-A725-85269ECA2381.jpeg
    A4DB9C57-5E4B-461C-A725-85269ECA2381.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 46
adrian said:
Nice build!!
did you also tried to lower the 22uF cap?
Thanks. I did with the previous capsule but I found it a little light on the low end and put the 22uf back. The ck12 is more bass heavy and a 10uf would work nicely but the 22uf sounds nice. Nice low end bloom without being overbearing...tight and well balanced.

Can anyone comment on differences in tube brands? Has anyone tried a few different ones?

I am using a JAN/phillips right now and I was looking to try Mullard or RCA or something else.

Back