Little overhead preamp shootout/Suggestion wanted

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sedit1

Hi!

We did a little preamp shootout for drum overheads in our studio and I was littlebit suprised what we found out. Here you can download the files:

Ez-1290
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12578903/1290-OH.wav
Capi312
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12578903/CAPI312-OH.wav
TC-GoldChannel
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12578903/TC-OH.wav
Ms-Audiotron(with lundahl transformer)
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12578903/MS-OH.wav

We record lots of heavy music and most of time I want my overheads to have nice separation and lot's of details in topend. Usually in heavier material I like to hipass the overheads from ~ 300 to 500hz, so the topend is more crucial that hearing the shells from overheads. When I listen these samples I like the TC most just because the others seem to miss  details in the top end. This was a suprise for me (In last session I used capi in my overheads and in the mix I was missing something, but now I know what).

If I just listen the samples The Capi and ez-1290 are 100% great and "slay" the TC and I would totally use them in all of the shells. Also would use them in overheads if I had an project  where I would build the drumsound based on the overheads. What do you guys think?

Based on this test I would also like a DIY preamp suggestion for overheads. I would like that the pre would be super clean and have lot's of detail in the top end. I was thinking maybe ssl 9000/greenpre or eden?

Thanks!

Most probably you will get recommendations for a chip-based preamp, either with INA163 or THAT chipset..

If you are up to some modding, perhaps you can try to "pimp-up" a M-Audio DMP-3 preamp (with boutique caps).

tv said:
If you are up to some modding, perhaps you can try to "pimp-up" a M-Audio DMP-3 preamp (with boutique caps).

ricardo here at prodigy pro actually did a modding guide for M-Audio DMP-3.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=49738

sure the thread is about a dedicated "ribbon preamp" but you might as well translate that as very quiet, accurate and high gain.

This OH with EZ1290 is amazing!

Its very transparent sound!I bought my EZ1290 one PCB ,but my budget is to short to go to this project!

But OH sound awesome!

Other preamps are good but not like EZ1290!

Sory...but this is just my subjective opinion...

cheers....

iprovlek said:
This OH with EZ1290 is amazing!

Its very transparent sound!I bought my EZ1290 one PCB ,but my budget is to short to go to this project!

But OH sound awesome!

I agree, this is how I ranked them

1290, 312, MS, TC

The TC sounded boxy and hollow in comparison, almost like the room shrank.

I think you'll find that the other pre-amps will react to EQ'ing much better.

Try a 5K shelf at 6-10db on all of them and see if you're preference changes.

If you're really looking for clean and defined, a pair of Dan Kennedy's Mic Pre's are just the ticket.

Regards,
Mark

Thanks for your suggestion about M-audio modding, seems intresting and for the price it's a steal!

And for rest of the comment's I totally agree! My preference list is the same tha biasrocks. Ez-1290 sounds by far the best and is one of my favourite drum pre's.

But the main observation was that TC was the only one witch had more top end information witch I feel is important part of certain style mixes, and I would like to find a preamp witch is the same quality than 1290 or capi but is super clean and has more top end information because as Biasrocks said the TC didn't sound good overall (but there is something very nice in the top end, you can hear the cymbal movement and nice "overtones" and the others are just "dull" in that area. I noticed this best at mixing stage and could not bring the "life" back with eq)  :)

And Rochey: I'm very tempted about Eden :)

mulletchuck said:
what kinda converters were you running for this shootout?  you ain't lyin' about the TC havin' a bunch of extra hi-end in it!    1290 is ridiculous sounding!

It was RME Adi 8ds and mics were Joly modded mk012's

sr1200 said:
Try the EZ1073... same pre as the 1290 but you can add that extra high end if you want using the eq.  LOVE em!

Thanks for suggestion!

I have few different pres coming for testing. It's not eq thing, Neve and Api are missing some details in top end and you can't bring them up with eq, also the top end sounds like "compressed" in Neve, lack of cymbal movement etc. Still Neve and Api are by far my best drum pre's but I just want something different for some occasions  :)

Well,

it's your choice at the end of the day. Personally, I'd have the 1290's every time.

+1 for what mark said vv taking eq further down the line. And it all sounds so much more "there".

Vive la difference . . .

ANdyP

I bet what you perceive as high end in the TC is harmonic distortion the others lack in that range.  The first time I worked on a Neve after only knowing Mackie preamps it sounded dull and broken too.

Ill agree with emrr.  When youre doing a direct comparison it CAN sound a bit dull, but it really sits in the mix a lot better with a lot less need to adjust things after the fact. 

I do mainly heavy music as well... just did the new Sworn Enemy EP (NYHC)  and am working on a project now with the old bassist from Kittie.  The drums came out great used the 1290's on most of the drums and used the 312 clones on the overheads and room mics.  MIGHT have used a LA610 on the outside kick mic but i dont remember, id have to check my notes.  If you want a more open sound for the OH's try ClassicAPI 312s if you have 500 series otherwise the whistlerock 312's are really nice as well (and have options for a DI as well)

sr1200 said:
Ill agree with emrr.  When youre doing a direct comparison it CAN sound a bit dull, but it really sits in the mix a lot better with a lot less need to adjust things after the fact. 

I do mainly heavy music as well... just did the new Sworn Enemy EP (NYHC)  and am working on a project now with the old bassist from Kittie.  The drums came out great used the 1290's on most of the drums and used the 312 clones on the overheads and room mics.  MIGHT have used a LA610 on the outside kick mic but i dont remember, id have to check my notes.  If you want a more open sound for the OH's try ClassicAPI 312s if you have 500 series otherwise the whistlerock 312's are really nice as well (and have options for a DI as well)

Seems I have to give Neve a chance in my next sessions! I know direct comparsions can easilly lead you the wrong way.
I allso have Capi 312's they really shine on snare especially in heavy music.

Scrappersa said:
What mics did you use and what was your setup like? Spaced pairs or Glyn Johns?

Spaced pair.
The mics were Joly modded mk-012's->preamp->RME FF800

Latest posts

Back