Feeler: A “Pod” of Pultecs… ezP-1A, ezMEQ5 and ezHLF-3 for Christmas

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slenderchap

Christmas again, sorry for nothing last year, but to make up for it there are 3 items this year.

[After some discussion, we have determined that the collective noun for Pultecs is a “Pod”… ]

I have arranged for Carnhill to manufacture the appropriate inductors and transformers for the prototypes, if demand is sufficient they will become stock items….
Everything else is standard “off the shelf” parts.

pod_of_pultecs_600.jpg

ezp-1a_inside_600.jpg

ezmeq5_inside_600.jpg

I believe that Gustav is willing to make PCB's and I'll see if I can arrange the metalwork.

There will be some minor tweaks to do but they are basically fine....

They are designed to be ultra easy to build with almost no wiring (just the output and mains transformers which have colour coded wires), couple of ribbon cables and a chassis earth wire.

Probably about a 4-5 hour build from a blank PCB to a finished unit for the average speed builder.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

I might be interested in the EZ-P1A.

Is that the same circuit as the original point to point EQP-1A Pultecs or is it more like the Gyraf?

Can buyers buy separate PCBs or do they have to buy the 3 set(POD)?

I noticed the round Power thing on the right bare, will that cause issues with hum or noise because I noticed some Pultec builds placing some form of shield around that round power thing?

Will this be like some of your other builds where it is DIY at first then goes commercial after a batch or limitted time?

Thanks

As per usual - superbly designed layouts for the DIY community!

Fantastic work Colin!

I have the good fortune to live a few miles away from AML.

Colin kindly offered for me to build some 1073 units at his workshop and the process was flawless - full build guidebook
- built 3 units in no time and worked straight off the bench! Cases by DDA - thanks Dan - made from Colins drawings -
everything just dropped into place - no filing holes or any bodging whatsoever!

This pod of pultecs probably have fewer parts total than a 1073! - the estimated build time is no bullshit!

I'll probably spend more time counting the pennys than i will building these units - once i've finished counting!

Mmmmmmmmmm! - can't wait!!!

I'm in the market for some  " as authentic as possible  " i/o xfmrs & inductors to retro fit a few inferior
products I have  , looking good Colin

You know POD is the guitar modeling device that people love or hate eh ?

I was just about to self etch some boards for this. You've just saved me from drilling a million little holes!
In!

shot said:
And the estimated prices would be...??

Don't know yet as it depends on lots of things.... but probably not much different than building a Pultec by other means.

canidoit said:
Is that the same circuit as the original point to point EQP-1A Pultecs or is it more like the Gyraf?
Can buyers buy separate PCBs or do they have to buy the 3 set(POD)?
I noticed the round Power thing on the right bare, will that cause issues with hum or noise because I noticed some Pultec builds placing some form of shield around that round power thing?
Will this be like some of your other builds where it is DIY at first then goes commercial after a batch or limitted time?

The ezP-1A has a tertiary winding on the output transformer like the original Pultec.

PCB's will be individually available.

The "round power thing" will probably end up screened... but even as it stands it is relatively quiet.

It may become a commercial product at a later date...

ruffrecords said:
That's a very interesting mains input connector/filter. Who makes it?

As Holger/Kante spotted, it is a Shrurter DD22.... available from RS components.

jsteiger said:
Looks great Colin! I love the color scheme.
PS, did I spell "color" correctly?  ;D

I agree about the colour (spelt correctly) scheme.... it has an excellent contrast... the boxes are the standard colour from Holt Broadcast (I think it is called Dawn Grey?).

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Peter purpose has a similar color he called Fawn ?
Did you say if  the individual components will be available separately ?
thanks & regards

Back