Feeler: A “Pod” of Pultecs… ezP-1A, ezMEQ5 and ezHLF-3 for Christmas

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gearsef said:
Hi Colin,
would you care to please explain the resonance behaviour of the ezHLF3 again?
Does the resonance occur in a full "Pod" configuration, or is the resonance not meant to occur at all?
Thanks  ;)

It depends on the source and load impedances and how you set the output termination switch on the PCB.

Page 4 of the colourbook http://www.audiomaintenance.com/downloads/ezhlf3_colourbook.pdf

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Slenderchap said:
We normally use 10% capacitors, although you can easily get 5% (but they are very significantly more expensive).... you could just get a bunch of 10%'s and select them accurately ?

You would also have to match the gains of the valves ?

Would it be possible to build one of these that was stereo? Single set of controls but EQ on 2 channels simultaneously? That'd be so sweet. I realize that there would have to be some matching involved.

Or what about a 3U case that housed both this AND a ezMEQ5 that functioned in stereo? Now THAT is what I'm looking for more than any other piece of gear. Combine the 2 EQ units into one and make it stereo. That would be the ultimate EQ for my use.

Anybody have audio or video clips showing how they sound? I would really like to hear the ezMEQ5 in action before I put my money a pair.

These look really nice. Would love to hear some clips of them in use if anyone has any. Wondering why no power on/off switch on the front ( or anywhere) on them though?

Just built my first pultec and my first eq ever. So fun, easy and inspiring. I have never done anything like that before and it was much easier than expected because of great instructions, like paint by numbers. Plugged it in and everything worked perfectly. Now I know why they are so famous. The bass eq is amazing. I just ordered the 1073 and cant wait to get my paws on that beast.  Thanks colin and keep up the good work. Jon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 152
Hi everybody,

I just finished my first Pultec from Audio Maintenance.

Here is a picture.

The build was easy. I measured all the components before I soldered them to the board.

Soldering the Molex, fitting de output transformer and assembling the case was the hardest part. Sometimes there wasn´t a lot of space.

But hey, I can´t complain. It sounds amazing. I worked extensively on pultecs in some studio´s and I am very familiar with their sound.

This clone comes very close. It is a little bit more mid forward compared to a pultec but that makes it even more suitable for mixing purposes. The bass is exactly like I remember from the Pultecs. Strong, focussed and lose if you want it to be.

The highs are silky. Not as silky as on the real ones though... But, I can be wrong. I should have to A/B them directly to make such statements.

Building these for approximately 830.- euro makes them a steal. All the commercial clones out there are expensive or a compromise in the design. This one is not expensive and it has no compromises. It is absolutely gorgeous and I will build another one very soon!

Attachments

• pultec 1.jpg
    pultec 1.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 91
Hopefully some time this week.... but they will probably go out of stock again fairly quickly as the number of enquiries exceed the number of chassis we have left... I have altered the on-line store so that they can be ordered anyway despite them being out of stock (on a first come first served basis).

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

sharpeleven said:
So... now, let's find out if Colin has anything in the works for this Xmas?  ;D

Santa and the Elves are busy buying all the parts at the moment for a new Christmas pressie ....... this new toy has a lot of parts !

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

sharpeleven said:
no longer avail in kit form. Still available for purchase as assembled units.

How in gods name did I miss this boat? That's what I get for swearing I wasn't gonna build anything until I wrap up all my unfinished projects.

Colin if they sound anywhere near as good as your Neve clones they must be incredible.

Marcocet said:
sharpeleven said:
no longer avail in kit form. Still available for purchase as assembled units.

How in gods name did I miss this boat? That's what I get for swearing I wasn't gonna build anything until I wrap up all my unfinished projects.

Colin if they sound anywhere near as good as your Neve clones they must be incredible.

initially spent some time wrestling with my conscience on that one too. Finally ended up ordering just in time and building, well.... 'several' of'em.  :eek:

yes, very awesome sounding units, even with stock tube config. A bit different sounding from the originals/reissue ones (how could they not...), actually a bit more amp-ey/grabby in a good way - if that makes sense. Killer on indiv. tracks or when you need that mojo on a return or master.  A real revelation for me were the MEQ5s btw!

They still ARE available from Colin's store though, ready built, for what I think must be one of the best deals around, for not that much more than the kits ran for.

Maybe we should ask Colin to start some kind of subscription service?  :p

ezP-1A kits (AML-17-020) will be available for Christmas week only.

Lead times will apply.... probably about 5-6 weeks as we have to wait for chassis.

Faceplates may be supplied with a polycarbonate overlay (not engraved).

There will be a limited number as I am bored with kitting these.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Is this the Chrtmas pressie you mentioned a few messages ago, or is there something else coming from the Elves this Christmas?

Slenderchap said:
sharpeleven said:
So... now, let's find out if Colin has anything in the works for this Xmas?  ;D

Santa and the Elves are busy buying all the parts at the moment for a new Christmas pressie ....... this new toy has a lot of parts !

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Back