PMV70X HiZ (Neumann PMV70 in GDIY51X format)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[silent:arts]

number three of [silent:arts] microphone preamplifiers, number two in the German Legends family:

PMV70X-AngleView.jpg

based on the Neumann MICROPHONE PREAMPLIFIER PMV 70
[ original schematic | original (german language) data-sheet ]

NOTE: the PMV70X is NOT API500 COMPATIBLE, a GDIY511 Rack is required

PMV70X-SideView.jpg

The PMV70X HiZ is sold out.

I dont know much about this pre amp, could you tell us a little about its history, sound refrences and so..? That goes for the 560 as well.
J

Joechris said:
I dont know much about this pre amp, could you tell us a little about its history, sound refrences and so..? That goes for the 560 as well.
J

The PMV 70 was the precursor to the Neumann V476b, if that helps at all.
V476b = Super quiet, high gain (76dB,) beautiful sound.  I presume the PMV 70 is in the same league.

[silent:arts] said:
now, due to the non existing interest here I don't know what to do.

I'm a little surprised.  Come on people. Mic pres do not get any better than this.

What's scaring people off?  The non-standard op-amp pinout?  Difficult to source transformers? People secretly holding out for the V476b? (which probably won't happen if these don't sell...)

Input transformer is a problem - I have them brand new from Haufe, which is expensive.
The Output transformer and the DOA can be found on many Neumann modules.
However, I have enough too (DOAs due to age without warranty).
Soon I will have APP replacement DOAs as well 8)

Most transistors are hard to get / discontinued. I have stock.

But kato, it is just Neumann, not Neve API SSL  :eek:
(and a little bit expensive compared)

I think the problem is not many people have heard them.  I don't remember any time I would have heard or used them.  It does look interesting however. 

What's scaring people off?
Have these been auditioned and tested in a recording environment, all the features work, and are going to be really awesome if built?
Have you used them enough to know they don't have any problems? Do they have good headroom? No pops, clicks, strange distortions? Looking for real use evaluation before release, not just testing with a signal generator. Anyway, that would help me. I'm really tempted.
I have built a bunch of awesome preamps and some that are just mediocre. I want to add to the awesome list.

dmp said:
Have these been auditioned and tested in a recording environment, all the features work, and are going to be really awesome if built?
yes

dmp said:
Have you used them enough to know they don't have any problems? Do they have good headroom? No pops, clicks, strange distortions? Looking for real use evaluation before release, not just testing with a signal generator. Anyway, that would help me. I'm really tempted.
they have been out in a studio for testing, resulting in pre-ordering two pieces.
(comments on facebook somewhere)

Now, why not test it yourself? I happily ship you the prototype (and one OV560 to compare) for testing.
But you need to do the soundsampels for mulletchuck  ;)
I will pay shipping to you, you pay shipping back to me.
However, you need a GDIY511 Rack for this.

Attachments

• Bild 1.png
    Bild 1.png
    855.9 KB · Views: 275
now, due to the non existing interest here I don't know what to do.

Perhaps propose in some other forums as well??

Money is a little bit the prob here for me these days, and too many unfinished projects, if not i would have two of these and two OV560.
Time will tell.

Nice job nonetheless Volker.

PS: Send me a quote anyway please (i have for the OV560), i keep these so when i want to take the plunge and grab a new toy. Thanks

[silent:arts] said:
Now, why not test it yourself? I happily ship you the prototype (and one OV560 to compare) for testing.
But you need to do the soundsampels for mulletchuck  ;)
I will pay shipping to you, you pay shipping back to me.
However, you need a GDIY511 Rack for this.

I'd be willing to make some clips of these for the chance to try them in my studio.

I've got a pair of the 51x Jensamps which I love, and I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on the OV560 for a while, but now that the the PMV70 is available I'm not sure which one would suit my needs the best.

Latest posts

Back