PMV70X HiZ (Neumann PMV70 in GDIY51X format)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks so much for this kit. My brother finished building it last weekend. Works great, highly recommended!

This far tested DI Bass and oh man, so good. Need to do more recordings. I just adore these Haufe transformers! The best!

Hi, i want one pmv70 shipped to Norway. No need for vat
Because i will have to pay that in import
Best regards
Kongelyd

Would anyone like to describe how the 560 sounds compares to the PMV70? Obviously 10 dB more of gain, but what else characterizes the differences? I imagine that the 70 retains all of the virtues of the 560 - high headroom, smooth, clean and linear. Has what I would call a 'stiff' attack envelope - by which I don't mean 'brittle' . I mean that is maintains the integrity of the signal envelope, and does not compress it overly much. What compression it does impart is smooth and transparent.  So far the 560 is my favorite of the kits I have built. If the 70 is the same as the 560, only with more gain, then I will be satisfied, but I am curious if it has any other traits that differ.

Quick question about the stop pins for the Grayhill. Which ones for the correct rotation. Just want to double check.

Thank you for bringing this to life. Sounds awesome on bass DI, all I have recorded though it since finishing late last night.

20160126_012041.jpg

20160126_161850_1.jpg

I thought that I should post a quick update on this thread, now that I have had the opportunity to do some work with the PMV70X in the studio.
Volker has produced another real gem!
I have been using it on female vocals and acoustic instruments where I have found that it absolutely shines - silky smooth but with lovely clarity at the same time. This pre has become my first choice for anything that is going to be in focus in the mix.

Hey Volker,

kits arrived, looking great so far!

Could it be that the schematic link is missing from the first post?

Cheers

Moshe

Hey Moshe,

can you believe you are the first recognizing this?
Never found the time to draw a clean schematic.
You can use the original schematic, part numbers etc are the same.
If needed I can mail you my ugly production schematic, just let me know.

Happy soldering!

Hey Volker,

That's funny...^^
I think I will just use the original then.
Again great fun to build so far.

Cheers
Moshe

I would really appreciate a little help with a noob question.

According to the schematic R45 should be selected, but according to which parameters?

If I understand correctly it is in charge of the negative feedback for the OA12, so do I just use R40 and tweak it till there is no oscillation?

Sorry for the noobness.. :p

Cheers

Moshe

While I added R45 to the PCB we select to not use it  ;D
[If you are crazy enough you could use it to adjust the gain range of R40 (together with R41)]

Thanks!

Does that indeed mean that I only tweak R40 to a point were I have no oscilation? ::)

Or in my noob words, why isn't R40 a fixed value..
Trying to get my head around that.

Back