True confessions Unfinished gear admission thread , Bad Dog, bad !

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely falls into the " measure twice , drill once "  don't skip the smaller bits as you work your way up
so you can keep the holes lined up better measure it 5 times if you have to and don't be impatient .
No subs for nice engraving or screening though , there's one catch though , if it sounds good and it's
only you using it " Shouldn't " matter what it looks like but it is another attention to detail thing and , I
know I feel better when it looks  " Pro "  the guitar pedal guys are using printable clear stickers , so that's
another option for labeling

I have an AC/DC radio kit my dad bought in 1955? You build various radios with the same chassis, including a micro powered AM transmitter.  Maybe it will become a family heirloom....

At some point in the (70s?) I bought a set of parts nearly complete to build the AM transmitter with some crazy notion to have a "pirate radio" station broadcasting inside my house.

Otherwise, I'm with deuce42. Metal work? Well the G7 can wait till I.....

I am not starting another anything until I get all that I have started up and running. Bad dog is right. Stop dreaming about how cool it would be to have it and finish it. I don't care how long I stare at the bench. I'll think it out.

I have a few boards that are sitting collecting dust and are the result of the "Last time being offered" or "limited run" type things.  Theres a royer mod mic i have sitting collecting dust all it needs is a transformer and its good to go, but havent gotten around to contacting cinemag...  My problem is more when I think I'm done building stuff, one of you brilliant bastids have to come up with something new, or some technerd has to tell me that "the only flavor you're missing is...." then its right back in.  Once I have all the components (case included) im usually good about getting it together cause the best part of DIY to me is not starting or finishing, its actually getting to USE the thing.  Almost all of the pre's that I built dont have any kind of indicators on em as to what knob or switch does what, but "I" know so, havent really felt the need (unless i've gotten a pre-made front panel, eg: Hairball 1176 front panel).  My dad (who i recently started speaking to again after over 10 years) manages a huge hobby store here in NY. Where I found some cool press transfer and water transfer kits that Im picking up tonight in hopes of "prettying" up some of my pre's.  That and a nice can of clear coat can rival screen printing and potentially offer even more detail.

For me, it is really fun to start a project and finish a project - but actually doing the point A to point B is hard when time is short.
I recently felt like the projects were piling up too deep so I started setting aside some time, and finished a bunch up over the past few weeks.

Big projects I have been collecting parts for: a 4 channel, Gates'ish, tube preamp; a dedicated tube DI, a pair of M49'ish mics.

It definitely helps to have a dash of Asperger's Syndrome in the genes.  Not too much though because then you come into perfectionism and nothing gets finished ever.  A little gives you focus.

You need lots of time (give up TV and FB).  :eek:

It helps to do the project in the glare of the Forum. :-\

DaveP's project finishing tips. ;)

Now to finish that CD for my kids, groan :-[

DaveP said:
It definitely helps to have a dash of Asperger's Syndrome in the genes.  Not too much though because then you come into perfectionism and nothing gets finished ever.  A little gives you focus.

You need lots of time (give up TV and FB).  :eek:
Maybe give up posting on the WWW....  who me?

JR
It helps to do the project in the glare of the Forum. :-\

DaveP's project finishing tips. ;)

Now to finish that CD for my kids, groan :-[

buildafriend said:
I am not starting another anything until I get all that I have started up and running. Bad dog is right. Stop dreaming about how cool it would be to have it and finish it. I don't care how long I stare at the bench. I'll think it out.

That's the point.

I usually have two projects at time, one as main project and another for work when I get stuck on the main, usually both projects are not in the same stage, I can be testing something and ordering parts for another thing, or something like that...

But the main thing, for me is resolution to make it work, "by all means necessary..."

Blue.... i got ya beat by a landslide...which is what my shop looks like... a landslide lol
been cleaning the last couple days, and found some really cool stuff! Found a Gar2520 kit still in the bag and a whole bunch of switches and knobs i thought had gotten thrown out accidentally.

gemini86 said:
god, for me it's all the stuff AROUND building that turns me off.

Okay, plug in the soldering iron. Dammit, new puppy ate my sponge, oh, and my tip is worn out. Where are my wire clippers? I can't find a thing in all this clutter. You know what, I should clean up real quick, it'll be just a minute. (discover 3 more projects I forgot about, get caught up organizing my parts shelves) Wife calls me to do something. Waste 10 minutes with that. Now what the hell was I doing? Hey look, an old transformer. I don't remember what it's for. Let's measure the turns ratio! YAY! Okay, seriously, what was I doing?

This is how I live my life... :(

In a nutshell.

Latest posts

Back