Orange 86 #2 (pics)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holger

GDIY Supporter
I've recently finished this:

front4.jpg

3 RU, big fat NOS meter buffered via JLM meter buffer, Sowter iron, custom wound power transformer and the little 'adjust meter' thingy I really like...

front2.jpg

guts.jpg

Stellar mic pre, detailled, rich. Thanks again to Guavatone/Charlie who made this possible...

Would be interested to know about the transformer you're using there, how do you feel it compares to the EDCOR in your other unit?

I notice also you're using a JLM psu for the relay/48...when I built mine the voltages seemed off, but Charley designed it that way so that under load it functions right...

I might try AC heaters for my second channel just to compare the two but I need to get some consistent tubes to make the comparison...

By far my most difficult build, but also my favorite pre... I sometimes just plug a guitar in it and play thru a mixer board it sounds that good.

What is the meter adjustment feature for?

Great looking build!

Thanks for liking.
iomegaman, I can't compare the Edcor to the new one because I don't own the other unit anymore. I decided to go fo a custom wound transformer simply because it cost the same as the Edcor (incl shipping etc.) and had less lead time.
I had the JLM PSU lying around and just needed 48V and another supply for the instrument-in relay.
The meter adjustment pot just sets the 0VU reference point. It's completely overkill for a mic pre but hey... it's fun.

Back