Gates SA-39B from scratch

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveP

I'm starting a new build tonight and the first step of a post retirement career.  I'm building a Gates SA 39B with modern components in a 3u rack size.  I'll post pics along the way and it will probably be sold afterwards, some pics later tonight.
best
DaveP

Started with a birdsnest Gary O would be proud of, but it all works and voltages check out.
Not using the stock regulator but using the Presto 41 reg instead, less tubes and more output so whole amp can be regulated, works a treat.

Birdsnest_zps5d0a22c5.jpg

Hardware ready.

Hardware_zpsf34880a1.jpg

Resistors and Caps bagged and labelled.

ResampCaps_zps4cc6a14c.jpg

Cutting out front panel.

CuttingFP_zps7520a265.jpg

Chassis made from these CPC boxes.

Boxes_zps052b2e7e.jpg

Back of Front panel parts.

Upstand_zps037f9b9d.jpg

Now a lot of drilling and filing to do, more soon.
best
DaveP

Thanks for the thumbs up guys.

The birdsnest is pretty bad but the upside is, if its stable like that, then you stand a good chance of making a quiet oscillation free amp when its all done nicely.

The sig gen has a dirty output pot that defeats all efforts to clean, probably too flimsy to desolder and replace, but I can get around that by using a second pot with original on full.

I went to a technical school in Dagenham, (like a grammar but engineering and science based), "hardcore metalbashing" was encouraged as we were considered "Ford Fodder" to feed the car plant.

Been working on the front panel today, here it is marked up.

Markedup_zps5c6c7f99.jpg

Holes Drilled.

Drilled_zps222e189c.jpg

This is how the front panel will look, but still got protective film on at present.

Mockup_zps9200eaa4.jpg

Usual controls: Attack, Release, Threshold switches, then large knobs are input and output pads, rest is meter zero etc.

Now I have to work on the chassis and decide the ideal layout.  I may be some time.......

best
DaveP

Magnus,
There will be more later this month but I have to finish a recording off first.  I have to keep reminding myself that all this gear I'm making has to be used!  I'm recording a cover of the new Bowie single but his sound is so HUGE.  I am finding out how good a musician he is and how much I have yet to learn, still I am making progress and a couple of weeks should do it.
best
DaveP

That first pic, aaargh!! :eek:

You have incredible trust in some of the HV parts for not to move or fall.

Also I think I had a seizure of some kind, maybe you should put up a warning.

Good to know that you' re occupied with something so inspiring.
I once was lucky to get hired to play Life on Mars with a great singer in my towns opera house
on their fantastic grand piano, one of the best songs ever!

Best regards
// M

I'm building a Gates SA 39B with modern components in a 3u rack size. 

. . . . . . said David as he surveyed his opponent . . . . slingshot in tow . . .  ;)

. . . SS SC?

rectifier & regulation assumed . . . . that leaves  6 tubes if I'm counting correctly.

On a side note, the original chassis would be a fun one to build - open steel frame with removable aluminum back plate.

Can't wait to see!

Aha!

Well Alan, that will be 8 tubes in total, but not sticking out the back, they will be upright as its still a big chassis in depth.

I've finished tracking the song now, so I start the SA-39 again next week.

A weekends mixing ahead. :)
best
DaveP

Dustbro,
Shouldn't you be out shovelling snow? ;D

I'm back on the SA-39 case tomorrow so watch this space!
best
DaveP

Ok, this is what has held up production.
http://soundcloud.com/delayed-action/where-are-we-now
We are now green for go, more pics Monday and Tuesday.
best
DaveP

Back