Gates SA-39B from scratch

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been awhile! 

I swapped the stepped input attenuator for a modern T on the primary side, which is the way the early SA-39's are set up.  It works much better having continuously variable input, which also keeps the input transformer out of overload territory with modern high level signals.  The later SA-39B attenuator on the secondary has the same overload problem in modern contexts, and many people add a fixed input pad. 

I have also run the B+ up closer to max, and it seems to match overall headroom better than it's original point. 

The threshold control runs both above and below the original, allowing you to overload the amplifier stage more greatly, or get a much softer/smushier sound with low thresholds.  The release goes fast enough to get into distortion territory as well, several steps faster than an original.  If you run lower threshold, slower attack, and moderate release, it begins to behave more like a Sta-Level type compressor.

I'm done, now it needs a new home!

DaveP said:
Front Panel now complete and connected up, so far no unaccounted for wiring!
Here's it from the back with the grid caps fitted.

The front panel has a jury rig threshold control so that I can work out the comp ratios during testing, they will then be hard wired into a 6 way switch.

Tomorrow I start all the testing.
best
DaveP

Dave where you got the white/black 6L7 Hut wire??.....I am in the SA-39B repair and this get lost.

Thanks for your anticipated help!
Opacheco

You can get the top caps fro Vacuum Tubes:-
https://vacuumtubesinc.com/index.php/sockets-adapters-and-parts/top-caps-tube-bases-plugs-hardware.html

You solder ordinary screened wire to them to make the connection,

Hope that helps

Best
DaveP

DaveP said:
You can get the top caps fro Vacuum Tubes:-
https://vacuumtubesinc.com/index.php/sockets-adapters-and-parts/top-caps-tube-bases-plugs-hardware.html

You solder ordinary screened wire to them to make the connection,

Hope that helps

Best
DaveP

Thanks DaveP........you always able to help with kindness !......You know what?, I am in the repair process of a SA-39B/M3529-B units and maybe you can give me some generals advises with.

Thanks again!
Opacheco

Latest posts

Back