External Power Supplies - Let's see 'em.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikoKensington

I was thinking of putting the power supplies for various projects together in one case. Before I get too deep in it perhaps someone can share there experience with this.

Are there any safety hazards with multiple torroids? Any suggestions for mains fusing and wiring? How do you guys shield power supplies from one another?

I think this could be beneficial for just about everyone, here. So if you have anything to share, please do. Do we have a PS META?

Yeah that's me being lazy. I've looked through that now. My questions still stand. I just want to see what's out there and get some ideas.

Hiya MikoKennsington,FWIW Ive built myself a few tube mic pre?s & compressors on the cheap, moneys bit tight so ive just got 3 external power supplies to run 9 mic pre?s & 2 conpressors in my situation I usually only use 1 or 2 things at once sometimes 2 or three projects can be running from the same transformers, I use small networks of resistors to produce the different HT voltages for the various units, keeping the power supply unit seperate seems to keep humming away from the audio too,im quite new to electronics but had lots of advice working out the power reqirements & the voltage dividers,stuff in sure you already know about,also FWIW being a tight ass 5 pre?s share 1 expensive input transformer & 4 share another one,its working for me.

Cheers Gary O.

I am exactly doing this
I have a 2RU box that I am using
The following messages give an indication of the problems I thought I would be having and the answers provided...

How to distribute one output from a PSU to multiple outlets on the case
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=2441&highlight=earth

A diagram of how I am getting around the above question - by adding extra outs from the PCB so it is a 1:1 with the power outlets on the chassis
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=3333&highlight=psu

How to power and fuse it
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=3094&highlight=psu

So currently my design is

One IEC inlet with a big f** off earth wire grounded to chassis
The Live and Neutral wires go into a home made PCB where they are split into multiple Live and Neutrals - Screw terminals on the multiple outs
Then each Live and Neutral to a On/Off Switch on the front of the chassis with a fuseholer for each set
Then Live and Neutrals to each PSU
The PSUs are split between on board encapsultated transformers and off board torroids.

Ink Etched PCBs based on designs from Group DIY members..
Each PSU has molex connectors for output...
Depending on the power available and end destination of each PSU I then design the PCB to putput x number of outputs on 2 pin or 3 pin Molex connectors (2 pin for straight PSU, 3 pin for bi polar)
Each PSU has a feed just before the output to a LED (with a resistor just before it) - this then feeds the fromt panel next to each switch)

I then output to 4 or 5 pin XLRs - colour coded with dots and the cable ring colours that match
The outputs are FEMALE xlrs (so if you touch them at the back you don't get shocked)

I am just mounting the following...

48v-0v (for phantom) based on Bo hansens design using a TL783 - currently going nowhere as I have no Mic Pres for it... (I think it's a 24VA - but it can power 30+ mics) - I have 10 outs on this

24v-0v for relays and powering 24v lamps - based on a 7824 and using the Group DIY PSU number 2 (I think) - about 8 outs (it's a 30VA)

18v-0-18v Based on Jakobs Calrec PSU - with 4 outputs (it's a 30VA)

The 24v-0v and 18-0-18 are then feed to different pins on a 5 pin XLR
Thus when they "hit" the Calrec the 24/0 are fed to a relay/power lamp board and the 18-0-18 are fed to main Calrec boards

Latest posts

Back