Bulding a Stereo Channel Strip out of a Mixing Console?!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maliq

Me again with Questions.. :) :) sorry, i really hope its the right place to ask but i'm tyred of looking into Ripped out channel strips from Mixing desks, so I need some answers.

I got a soundcrafst Spirit Folio Mixer, so far , I like the EQ, and I just use it for summing the Stereo Signal, sometimes for printing Stems that I EQ a lil to give it a lil bit more body, I did hunderts of Blind A/B tests and the Signal always sounded better when i run it through the Board (I also got a UAD with Neve EQ's and all that..all pretty nice but different).. I'm not using the GAIN Switch of the Soundcraft cause my signal goes first through a SPL Tube Preamp which I like alot.

Ok, problem, my Board got 20 Channels but I just use 2 mono Ch.. the rest is something that I'll never use, so I thought about to get 2 Mono Channel Strips from a bigger console (they sometimes go away pretty cheap on ebay) and build my own Channel strip (Like I sayed i don't need no 48v - for recording or gain since i always do this with the SPL Preamp first), It's all about the EQ and maybe the option to route it to a sub group..but this is where the Problem starts.

A Channel from a mixing desk just have a Input jack/XLR.. so if i wanne route it to a sub group then i would need one sub group section from the Mixing desk too right?  And I guess it gets more complicated to have a Output section.. this one I guess i need to build myself then.. So am I right when I say a "Ripped out" Channel strip from a desk is just for repairs or to replace some parts when you also got the whole console yourself?? Or is it pretty simple to build a Output section yourself?? I found nothing on the Net so as always... you guys can only help me to get rid of my headache.

I also thought it would be a cool try to recap things just to ease my mind and see what happen, I could order 4 channels and maybe "Kill" 2 with recapping and trying some stupid ideas haha..

Would you say to build a good channel strip (i mean its actually not a real Channel strip nomore, more an EQ) out of a ripped out Console make sense or go for a DIY EQ like the Night EQ3D?? I think i'm to stupid for those DIY projects cause i would still need a step by step and how to do it plan, and Remember i'm in Europe so ordering all the parts can be more difficult  :p

or should i try to mod my old Behringer Tube Ultra Q EQ?????  ;)

Thanks ;D

Latest posts

Back