U67 Build (Z3300A Body)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spencerleehorton

Hi,

My U67 build is complete and will be posting first some pictures and listing all changes and issues i had with the build. I'll try and keep it as brief as possible.
Sound files will be posted when i get around to it.

SE Z3300a mic used for body (bought on ebay as faulty)
Capsule (unknown but i have Tskguys capsule coming soon!)
Sowter 1304 transformer (sounds amazing)
EF86 tube (I have Winged C(best sounding by far), Tung Sol & EF86 electro harmonix)

I get my winged C valve from Karltone on ebay, he personally selects them and tests.

regards

Spence.

As far as issues goes i had wired the polar patterns the wrong way so i only got Cardioid and Omni, this has now been sorted.
Also i was getting the ocean/bubbling noise and this turned out to be a little bit of solder touching where it shouldn't. top tip make sure you clean and watch out for any little bits when building.
Also had an issues on the psu of wrong voltage when i measured but i didnt connect the mic, and the voltages sorted themselves out once it was connected.
A lot of lessons learnt in this build.
Just waiting for Erics capsule to turn up and then i will change over as this capsule if from the original Se Z3300A which im pretty sure is absolute crap in comparison.
Sounds wise this sounds great on acoustic guitar, vocals, electric guitar, i use a little bit of valve compression from an ART Pro VLA and i go into the Valve channels in my Allen & Heath GS3000 the it goes into my digidesign 96i and i run Protools HD 9.
Have tried using it on drums but it just doesnt cut it in my opinion.

Pretty Sweet!

Dave

p.s. After you get Eric's capsule I wanna hear what that Sowter iron sounds like!

It would be interesting to hear comparisons between the 2 capsules.

Is it possible for you to post some recordings done with the original Z3300a capsule and then with the new capsule once changed?

Cheers

How important is the amplifier circuit in a U67 clone?  Did you use the original schematic or just "pimp" the stock sE amplifier?

This is very interesting to me.  I am very interested in high performing, low cost DIY tube mics.

Latest posts

Back