[BUILD] GIX-51X tube preamp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a fantastic set of talks by Rupert Neve from 2007 AES at <http://rupertneve.com/company/notes/>.  A real pleasure to listen to all of them, very interesting and lots of nice anecdotes and he talks about lashing together sound systems from scrap for Winston Churchill after the war.

Relevant to this post, this audio track <http://rupertneve.com/wp-content/i/2007-rupertneve-aes-1.mp3> (at minute 3:44 seconds) he speaks directly to the issue of this post, Mr. Neve saying  "the question of measuring something or using your ears to listen to it has always been one of the great problems, we all know that you can measure as deeply as you like and it often doesn't co-relate to what you actually hear, we've all got our theories I am sure as to why that should be, but you see...." and he goes on some and he quotes Lord Rayleigh from his book The Theory of Sound "directly or indirectly all questions connected with this subject must come for decision to the ear, as the organ of hearing and from it there can be no appeal."  and he also quotes Lord Kelvin "in physical science the first essential step in the direction of learning any subject is to find principals of numerical reckoning and practicable methods for measuring some quality connected with it, I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about and express it in numbers you know something about it but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is a meager and unsatisfactory kind it may be the beginning of knowledge but you have scarcely in your thoughts advanced to the state of science".  And then Rupert goes on with his thoughts on the matter.

They are fun, there are several hours of them.

b

mulletchuck said:
All this testing, and not a single person has actually used these preamps for recording since they finished their builds?    COME ON PEOPLE!!!  FOCUS ON WHAT MATTERS!!!!    :p  ;D

Hello everyone,
I have ordered some kits and now have questions concerning different transformer options and their impact on the sound. I already read about the different low frequency rolloffs pointed out by bruce0, but can someone comment further on the sound of some of the combinations? (difference between prices are huge) Anybody used the ea2622 on input? I will be shopping at classicapi soon, so I could buy them there.

input is much aprreciated and thank´s a lot for this awesome project!

I would really love to build a pair of these, but no one has posted clips of what they sound like on a bunch of sources (drums, guitars, pianos, horns, vox, etc).    Who's actually used these guys in the studio, what did you use them on, and how were the results?  I'm only bringing this up because my 2 51x chassis are full, so if i were to put these guys into regular use, i'd need to get a 3rd chassis and that opens a completely new can of worms lol

My bad!  :'(
How I get it I don't remember but I received mouser package this morning...
http://fr.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=CK2368virtualkey12200000virtualkey105-2454
and this one is non shorting  :eek: :eek: :eek: So I'm not sure if it will work?
Any advice?
Thanks

gemini86 said:
hey guys!

thanks for hanging in there...

The BOM will be edited as soon as I find a suitable switch. Mouser doesn't seem to have a MBB(shorting) switch with round shaft AND pcb pins. Everything is D shaft. So if you're using regular set screw type knobs, tD shaft will work fine, not so sure about collet knobs, though... anyone have experience with that?

Mouser MBB(shorting) with D shaft: 10WA344
Mouser MBB(shorting) with roudn shaft (this has solder tabs, so you'll need to snip them off to use on the pcb) 105-13571

Both are lorlin. Alpha witches are also good as an alternative.

Ian, the "rodney" cap is required to stabilize the low frequency oscillation. The other added filtering components noted by bruce are for filtering out any residual high frequency noise.

Bruce was having clicking issues with his using non shorting switches. I haven't experienced issues. I haven't looked into it a ton to see for sure but it seems that clicks should only happen on the first four settings. In those positions the switch is attenuating v1b's output, after that it's attenuating the feedback signal to increase gain. There's no DC present on the switch.

gemini86 said:
Bruce was having clicking issues with his using non shorting switches. I haven't experienced issues. I haven't looked into it a ton to see for sure but it seems that clicks should only happen on the first four settings. In those positions the switch is attenuating v1b's output, after that it's attenuating the feedback signal to increase gain. There's no DC present on the switch.
Funny you should mention this, I just posted on the G9 thread that this problem was because of microphonic tubes (in 2 out of 4 preamps), and now that those tubes are swapped out, and the preamps are bolted down in the rack, the clicks and pops are gone.

So I am using BBM switches on 3 of the preamps and leaving them that way, they are not noticeably different from each other.  Changing gain sounds the same on both, and it reasonably quiet (no pops).

Really sorry, I originally stuffed all 4 preamps during test with handfuls of 12AU7's from a drawer... And it just didn't occur to me.  So that's uh.. 2 strikes.

Was putting a cart together last night from mouser and I ran into some questions with the B.O.M. so here we go...

I need a lil bit more clarification on which capacitors to select especially the ones that don't specify WIMA. Many choices pop up so I use the filter to filter the choices and then I'm still left with many to choose from and for someone like me that is too confusing.

Example: the first CAP says "1000uF/35V 5mm LS Aluminum Electrolytic. Since there is no brand specified here I go to passive components, capacitors, electrolytic, then I select the capacitance filter and the noted value, the voltage filter and the noted value, then the Lead Spacing noted value. But i'm still left with 91 possibles after that. I try to shoot for 5-6 possibles

Again I'm having this issue with ALL the caps that are not specified WIMA or just has a value by it and nothing else, so if I could get some assistance on this issue it would help a great deal.
For the CAPS labeled WIMA I noticed that there are options for the LS. Is there any importance to this at all other than price from what I see?

--CAPS--
    1000uF/35V   1 "C504" 5mm LS Aluminum Electrolytic
          100nF   6 "C12, C30, C31, C32, C33,  C505, 5mm LS 63V WIMA 
          100nF   3 "C501, C502","RODNEY CAP" 2.5mm LS 63V WIMA
          100nF   2 "C506","FILTER MOD" 7.5/10mm LS 250V Ceramic
          100u   3 "C26, C27, C29"
            10n   2 "C8, C9" 5mm LS WIMA 63V
            10u /63V   1 "C7" 22.5/27.5mm LS FILM
        10uF/250V   3 "C25, C503, C507" 5mm LS Aluminum Electrolytic
            1u5   1 "C4" (mouser)505-MKS41.5/250/10
          220n   2 "C2, C10" 5/7.5/10mm LS WIMA 250V
          470n/250V   1 "C3" 10/15mm LS WIMA 250V
          470n   1 "C5" 5/7.5/10mm LS WIMA 250V
          470u   1 "C11"
            47u   1 "C28"
            4u7   1 "C13" 22.5/27.5mm LS WIMA 250V
            68p   1 "C6"

Below are the rest of the parts that I could not find on mouser:

50K-log   1 "RV1" Alpha  RV16AF-41-15R1-A50K
1.2mH   1 "L503" (mouser)562-RL187-122J-RC OR EQUIVALENT
1N4004   3 "D2, D7, D502" (this part had options that I wasn't sure to about)

Once I get the needed assistance I will submit my BOM for review here in the thread and make my Mouser cart available to everyone so for those like me, there is a simple few clicks and off to checkout.

Thanks in advance
G

the electrolytics are pulling a really light duty here... the voltage they're receiving is already low ripple, they're just there to reduce cross-talk between modules and add some local stabilization. I use either panasonic or nichicon. After you've filtered down to the specifics noted on the BOM, just choose an inexpensive one.

The pot isn't available at mouser. I got mine from mammoth electronics: http://www.mammothelectronics.com/RV16AF-41-15R1-A-p/210-100-a.htm. You don't HAVE to use that pot, any 16-24mm pot with solder lugs will fit in the space, but you'll need to hand-wire it to the board with short leads.

The inductor is a typo... my bad, I'll fix it. This is the correct part: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bourns/RL187-122J-RC/?qs=%2fha2pyFadujgImkQujR83nj3U1cRlrXUQG8gC2LJipSQenDdgLZDWg%3d%3d

The 1n4004 is easy, just make sure it's a through hole part. This one is in stock, it's cheap and there are 228 thousand available.

Back