Harrison Console Power Supply Rebuild?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winetree

Just finished rebuilding 36 MR-4  modules (as per Jim Williams mods) and before putting them back into the frame
I started thinking I should look at the Power Supply. Since 1981 it's never had any problems, voltages good.
Should I recap it?
It has some caps that are as large as soup cans. There are also two large caps under the board.
Do these go bad or should be replaced? What about the small ones? Would there be anything else to a power supply rebuild? Not looking for another project but I've gone this far.

Attachments

• Harrison P.S..JPG
    Harrison P.S..JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 48
i don't know anything about the mods but if replacing chips were part of it, then might do the psu as well. the chips m ay require more current then the psu can supply in it's current condition. i"m also surprised the psu has not been recapped in over 30 years, that just doesn't seem right.

hard to tell, some caps last forever, some don't

just for peace of mind i would change them, then you are good til 2038.

i will be dead by then, but the power supply will be still going,

we may be on DC power by then, due to solar taking over,

or maybe they will invert everything, who knows,

you will have more space as the replacement caps of the same value will be smaller.

you could up the voltage since you have more room,

however, someone told me tht caps running near their voltage limit sound better than caps that are at twice the voltage needed,

The chips were originally ceramic 5532s, LF 351s now replaced with LME 49720s, and other LME series.
so I don't think the current draw would be a problem. The new chips draw less current.
i"m also surprised the psu has not been recapped in over 30 years, that just doesn't seem right
Meaning I should replace all caps reguardless? Same values, Same voltage
I'd be 88

Back