REDD EQ, Helios 69 and Dick Swettenham

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeremy.Starseed said:
Any boards available?

Interested in 4  :)

Two versions of the board are available - the original and the 3U version.

The original is about 125mm by 75mm and has provision for PCB mounted pots as well as the three frequency selection pots.  The peak/trough and EQ in/out switches are mounted off board. I have four of this type of board in stock

The 3U version, as its name suggests, is intended to be able to fit vertically in a 3U enclosure and measures 100mm by 100mm. The three frequency switches are closer together and the two pots, the peak/trough and EQ in/out switches are mounted off board. I have six of these in stock.

Both boards are priced at £9. For instructions on how to order go here:

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=48986.msg619033#msg619033

Cheers

Ian

ding said:

I think that is the right switch for S1 and S2. I am not quite sure why digikey uses that particular version of the part number. The correct part number, which is in the assembly guide, is 71BDF 30-02-1-AJN. For S3 you need 71BDF 30-01-1-AJN

CHe Grayhill part number are in the assembly documentation which you can find in the REDDEQ folder under the DIY tab at my web site:

www.customtubeconsoles.com

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
ding said:
What are the distances between the switches on both the helios and redd?

On the 3UHelios and the 3UREDDEQ, the switches are one inch apart.

Cheers

Ian

I was trying to fit some .9 inch mini chicken head knobs but I guess that would be too tight. How about the regular helios pcb? I also see that you have only one in stock. Are you planning on getting more or are these being phased out for your new makeup gain version?

ding said:
ruffrecords said:
ding said:
What are the distances between the switches on both the helios and redd?

On the 3UHelios and the 3UREDDEQ, the switches are one inch apart.

Cheers

Ian

I was trying to fit some .9 inch mini chicken head knobs but I guess that would be too tight. How about the regular helios pcb? I also see that you have only one in stock. Are you planning on getting more or are these being phased out for your new makeup gain version?
They are further apart in the original version because there is a pot between them. I don' recall the exact dimension. I'll fire up the PCB package and measure it for you.

Cheers

Ian

For anyone that needs the helios69 (NOT the "3U version") distances. The distances of the pots and switches, from the left hand end of the PCB are:

1. Hi switch, 0.5 inches
2. Mid pot, 1.5 inches
3. Mid switch, 2.5 inches
4. Lo pot, 3.5 inches
5. Lo switch,  4.4 inches

ding said:
For anyone that needs the helios69 (NOT the "3U version") distances. The distances of the pots and switches, from the left hand end of the PCB are:

1. Hi switch, 0.5 inches
2. Mid pot, 1.5 inches
3. Mid switch, 2.5 inches
4. Lo pot, 3.5 inches
5. Lo switch,  4.4 inches

And I am expecting a fresh batch of this version of the Helios any day now.

Cheers

Ian

The new batch of the original Helios EQ boards arrived yesterday. They the V2 version. It has been updated to include Molex connectors for input and output and the pads for the mid boost/cut switch have been rearranged to make it simpler to wire up. I will update the emporium.

Cheers

Ian

Hey Ian, where did you get those caps on the Helios 69 image in your website? I have been having a hell of a time finding some of the caps of the right width on mouser or digikey. Most of the poly's (PP) are too wide to fit and some I can't even find in 5mm lead spacing.

ding said:
Hey Ian, where did you get those caps on the Helios 69 image in your website? I have been having a hell of a time finding some of the caps of the right width on mouser or digikey. Most of the poly's (PP) are too wide to fit and some I can't even find in 5mm lead spacing.

The brown looking ones are by Panasonic:

http://uk.farnell.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?catalogId=15001&langId=44&storeId=10151&categoryId=700000005410&st=PANASONIC%20ELECTRONIC%20COMPONENTS%20CAPACITORS&pageSize=25&beginIndex=1&showResults=true&pf=110141064,110141066,110141074,110162379,110183064,110202702

but it looks like they are being phased out. So now I tend to get the liltte box shaped ones by EPCOS and KEMET:

http://uk.farnell.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?catalogId=15001&langId=44&storeId=10151&categoryId=700000005410&pageSize=25&showResults=true&pf=110141064,110141066,110141074,110162379,110183064,110202702

Cheers

Ian

Ah, ok. I've been trying to stick to polypropylene so it's been a little more difficult for me. I guess there is a wider verity of polyester. I'll just have to manage which ones go below and which ones go above. Thanks.

Alain

ding said:
Ah, ok. I've been trying to stick to polypropylene so it's been a little more difficult for me. I guess there is a wider verity of polyester. I'll just have to manage which ones go below and which ones go above. Thanks.

Alain

Yes, polypropylene are much harder to find in 5mm spacing. You don't really need to worry too much about the dielectric type of the caps as long as they are film types and rated at at least 50V. Most of the 'sound' of the Helios EQ is due to the iron .

Cheers

Ian

Almost done. Took a pic before closing this thing.
4ch reddd using marinair on inputs, mullard caps throughout, dons Induktors for mid cut and carnhills on the outputs. This Unit has an output impedance of around 200ohms and gain makeup will be done with Telefunken v72 preamps. Sorry for the Bad pic. Cheers Jakob

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 162
Fitting the mustards was a b€tch..... Oh and ian is the the greatest guy ever. Thanks so much mate! 8ch pultec coming very soon. All caps (Pios in that case)  are matched. My girlfriend loves playing with the lrc bridge and matched them perfectly with exell sheets.  Best Girl for any tech 😀

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    297.8 KB · Views: 152
Back