So Pultec is back on the scene...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah and it's not even stereo, how's a master eq is mono huh?
For that genuine old school mono feel?

Curious it took someone that long to try and cash in , they may have missed the real wave though
I'll look for a manufacturer website , see who bought the name and how authentic they went . [ see below ]
the eqp appears to have the interstage transformer and wonder what eveanna thinks with her " Eugene blessed " versions
and rather than make a stereo version , you can of course buy two , he may want to keep them pure & authentic ................

from the website
Code:
In early 2000, when first considering a recreation of the Pultec design, Ph.D. Electrical Engineer and Materials
 Scientist Steve Jackson committed to faithfully recreate Eugene Shenk’s original Pultec with no compromise or “enhancement” 
of the original design. When it was impossible to source an original component, Steve painstakingly and meticulously conducted
electrical, mechanical and chemical characterizations to precisely determine the original component’s specifications to build custom 
replacements. Thanks in part to numerous conversations with and guidance and encouragement from Eugene Shenk over the 10-year 
process, Steve finally achieved the goal of faithfully recreating one of the “Holy Grails” of professional recording equipment, the Pulse 
Techniques (Pultec) EQP-1A3 Program Equalizer

http://www.pulsetechniques.com/

Code:
painstakingly and meticulously conducted electrical, mechanical and chemical characterizations

Wow! What a phrase! Marketing extravaganza!

This is a beautiful clone. They really did nice front panels and knobs. Looks very original.  ;D

i really am wondering what is going to happen to pulse. their units sound amazing, i wonder how they compare to these "new originals"

also anyone else notice the 2520 on the outside of the case? is that normal? shouldnt it be inside?

berkleystudios said:
i really am wondering what is going to happen to pulse. their units sound amazing, i wonder how they compare to these "new originals"

also anyone else notice the 2520 on the outside of the case? is that normal? shouldnt it be inside?

Strange things can happens in marketing world...

It isn't so normal that an exact replica of a tube design uses a SS discrete op amp... but because tubes where outside, SS DOA goes outside is OK for me...

JS

the 2520 on the outside is normal from other vintage units I have seen.

So what a minute the sweetwater link, are those the units from pulse. If so they are worth what they cost and as mentioned before the closest you will come to an original.

Looks to me like Pulse Techniques acquired the Pultec name and are using that to remarket their units. Thus the "Not a Pultec clone... it's a PULTEC" bit.

Dylan

they do look good , and they are going out of their way to say it's not a clone
I didn't see anything saying registered or copyright  , Good luck to anyone trying make a buck these days
Not a long list of endorsers  , I like the way they [ he ? ] uses the word scientist

okgb said:
they do look good , and they are going out of their way to say it's not a clone
But that's the only way to market it as a "genuine" reissue, isn't it?

Otherwise, they would look like just another contender in "clone wars".

Latest posts

Back