So Hendrix is back on the scene...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoff004

Anyone see this:

http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/01/11/LISTEN-New-Jimi-Hendrix-single-Somewhere/4791357911035/

prompted from this:
JohnRoberts said:
Some stars shine brighter after their death.

I wonder how the single will do.
Maybe he'll tour again...

It will be yet another disappointing rehash of a demo that he had been working on before his death.
Like that last futile attempt to convince people that there is still some great stuff left in the vaults (Valleys of Neptune), it's just another cynical attempt to try and part Hendrix fans with their cash. (As if there really are undiscovered masterpieces that have been lying around for 42 years).
I would urge you to listen to the extracts first.
I've checked out 4 tracks so far and it all just sounds like more of the same: - unfinished demo's.
Proof if proof were needed that you can't polish a turd.

God bless Eddie Kramer. He did some great stuff in the past (Led Zep, the original Hendrix stuff), but he's probably not the best person to resurrect unfinished demo's - by anyone really.
(Can't say I'm a big fan of his Waves plugins either).
Like I say, I would urge you to listen to the extracts that are out there before parting with your 'hard-earned'.
Maybe spend it on some HMV gift tokens - or the latest Bowie masterpiece.

Cant help but feel if he were around he might be unwilling to release things like this. Artists are quite proud people. When you're dead you have no ability to control your own output or what gets out into public.

i heard a couple cuts of what's coming out, one tune i liked, the other...

i've worked with eddie a couple times, great guy (unless you are the recipient of his 'mean' shtick).

can't disagree with what has been posted so far...

janie should not be left out of the equation when looking to point an accusing finger.

okgb said:
But , but ....didn't eddie the Kramer bless it ? wonder how much he got
and who he's producing lately

Nobody.

He did some great work back in the day, but hasn't done anything worth listening to in 35 years.

While I respect his creative and enthusiastic contribution to rock music in the late 60-s/early 70's, I feel bound to say that he's turned into a relentlessly self-promoting has-been, with an offensive manner driven by his rather over-inflated ego...

..though I'm sure he probably speaks very highly of me;)

There's a REASON that this stuff was unreleased. -And its emergence now is only really of passing interest as some sort of 'curiosity'.

Heaven forbid that should stop Eddie expanding generously on his own genius in applying modern technology...

On one of those classic album shows, a band recalls first seeing kramer in the U.S.  , showing
up to the studio wearing a cape [ perhaps they were fashionable then ? ]

I don't think they tried to say  " newly discovered " or anything like that , and after all this time
no one would think they were saving the good stuff ,  so presumably they costed it out  and came up
with a number that they could sell to collectors & fans , wonder how many units ? 20,000 less ?

There's yet another stones compilation as well ?  keep the graphic artists in business anyway

Last night at the laundromat the twenty-something couple at the next table had Voodoo Chile on a portable player. Schlockmeisters aside, Hendrix's music lives.

Peace,
Paul

The track they're (most likely playlisted...grr...) on 6 music sounds like a load of noodling, that probably took place after a few bongs, with the group having returned from the curry house. It just has that kind of vibe to it. Lacking the lucidity and direction of the stuff released in his lifetime IMHO. 

Latest posts

Back