Unknown Neotek theater channels for racking

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently acquired a pair of Neotek theater channels but I cannot find what exact model they are and the correct pin outs for them.  I've gone on the analogbros mailing list with no luck and emailed Mike at Neotek and haven't gotten a response.  I have a couple schematics but they do not match mine completely.  These strips have 35 molex pins and the PCB says Neotek 28-03.  From what I have gathered I think I have figured out some of it, but I do not know where the send/return is to bridge and the direct out and am not 100% sure on the -/+18v.  These have TL074 op amps.  Here are a few photos:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62117832/photo/Photo%20Jan%2002%2C%207%2059%2021%20PM.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62117832/photo/Photo%20Jan%2008%2C%203%2012%2038%20PM.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62117832/photo/Photo%20Jan%2008%2C%203%2013%2013%20PM.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62117832/photo/Photo%20Jan%2008%2C%203%2013%2020%20PM.jpg

This is what I've somewhat gathered from the generic schematic pages-
1. +48
2 - 10. Buss/Routing
11. -18v
12. -18v
13. +18v
14. +18v
15. GND
16. GND
?????
34. Fader Send
35. Fader Return
The rest after that I am not so sure about.  I would appreciate any insight into this,  thanks!

Pete

I racked one of these - an earlier version with no connector, just flying leads. I think they are Series II. As far as I have seen, there are lots of variations in the Series I, II, and III modules.

Couldn't find a schematic, although some kind person offered to sell for $150usd  :) 
I ended up finding a very low res one which was not quite completely useless.

The problem is that it has quite a bit of logic and fet switches controlling the various switch functions. If  they work, all well and good. Mine didn't, and what's more, operating them without the proper connections caused quite a few burned components and psu shorting.

In the end, I had to remove most of the logic and fet switching to get it the module to  work.
Wasn't so bad as it allowed me the opportunity to re-work the mic/line and tape return signal routing to make it useful in my racking.

Mic pre has very little headroom - just looking at it wrong causes clipping!

The aux routing is a little odd imho, being quite unbuffered and very interactive, one with the other. I added balanced buffer modules in order to use them in a rack context. The stereo outs are also very weak and needed a proper line amp in order to be of any use. The mono out is a little more capable but benefited from a line amp too.

At the end of the day, I felt the EQ was very powerful and great to have.

The rest of the routing, mic/line pre and outputs were not very useful and best replaced  :)

So, I'd say the schematic is very very helpful for this one.  I have some other Noetek schematics which I will put up, but not that one unfortunately.

Thanks Casey,  those are actually the shematics I have.  The +48v lines up and I'm pretty sure the +18v/-18v do but nothing else. 

Thanks for the information Alex, I'll do some searching for these schematics,  if the logic and routing are that fussy it may just be worth my while to have a tech wire it up and check it out.

alexc said:
I racked one of these - an earlier version with no connector, just flying leads. I think they are Series II. As far as I have seen, there are lots of variations in the Series I, II, and III modules.

The problem is that it has quite a bit of logic and fet switches controlling the various switch functions. If  they work, all well and good. Mine didn't, and what's more, operating them without the proper connections caused quite a few burned components and psu shorting.

In the end, I had to remove most of the logic and fet switching to get it the module to  work.
Wasn't so bad as it allowed me the opportunity to re-work the mic/line and tape return signal routing to make it useful in my racking.

Logic and tape/return signal routing do indeed hint at a Series II module in my limited experience.

In Neotek-ese, does "theater" channel denote Series I/Ie?

Latest posts

Back