Hairball LOLA in TapeOp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pH

Great review of the LOLA in TapeOp this month. Very well deserved, we love ours at the studio.

Congrats Mike!

erikb1971 said:
That is one positive review! Congratulations!

Ya I mean "Lola with a Sennheiser MD 421 on tom tom was ridiculous, like playing basketball against a pack of six year olds.". 

What more can you say ;)

Mike

Congrats on the review. Lola certainly deserves to shine above the clones.

While I used to do it too, I nowadays find these overly elaborate descriptions between a THD+N of 0.01% and maybe 0.05% a bit ridiculous.

Kingston said:
Congrats on the review. Lola certainly deserves to shine above the clones.

While I used to do it too, I nowadays find these overly elaborate descriptions between a THD+N of 0.01% and maybe 0.05% a bit ridiculous.

I went to an AES presentation recently where an AP rep played back an audio file and slowly added THD.  People in the audience were asked to raise their hands when they noticed distortion.  I think it got up to 5-6% before the first hands when up.

Mike

[silent:arts] said:
I really should think about buying one ...
Enough Hardys here anyway.
Mane problem: too much pre amps in my "not really recording" setup  :(

Same here.

I've been selling off my dust gathering recording gear for test equipment.

I honestly think it's special enough everybody should have one , it's holds good company
value is good , and it's not derivative [ and it looks cool ]  what makes allot of other preamps better
is only expensive advertising , maybe you have to charge more for it [ along with big name endorsement ]

to add , being different & unique doesn't by itself warrent needing one but that it does have good qualities
of sound for the things ran through it , why have another 312  [ it's good to have a couple for sure ]
this thing should be selling like gangbusters .............

LOLA by Dr. Dre ™

I think you're right ;)

It does look very cool I think.  I still haven't really captured that in images.  Definitely way cooler in person IMO.

I want to put out another positive for the Lola. I have a studio full of the classics(API, Neve, Redd, etc), and this pre-amp has become my goto. I have been gently pulling into sessions, and using it more and more. My eye opening moment was when recording electric guitar a couple of weeks ago. I typically use either the Neve or API, but decided to do a little bit of a shootout. I have a multi-mic setup in my guitar room, and tried it, first on a close dynamic mic, then on ribbons, then on rooms. I couldn't believe how much better it sounded than either the API(too pointy) and the NEVE(really dark). The LOLA had a presence and clarity, seeming almost hifi in comparison to the other 2, but still having a lot of character. I use it a ton with various condensors as well, and it simply sounds amazing. I'm just bummed that i don't have more space in my 500 rack. Seriously thinking about selling off a couple of the API's
Ian

I agree , the Lola's got it's own thing , and it's a good one
kind of like a gtr player that stands out , can't say that about
too many product these days

Latest posts

Back