Dual and Single Side Supplies

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a soBer Newt

Hello All, 

I am looking for some information.  I am looking on building a preamp that has an op amp front end and then a BA283 output. So here is what I am confused about is I need bipolar supply for the opamp section and a single sided supply for the BA283 how would I go about doing this.

Sincerely,

Nathan 

Probably the simplest would be to use an opamp that can handle +/-24v and then use the +24 to feed the BA283 output stage. Simple as that!

And, if the opamp can NOT handle +/- 24V, it would be a simple matter to add a pair each of: dropping resistors, zener diodes, and capacitors across the zeners in order to drop the rails down to a voltage the opamp can handle.

Bri

If you use ±12 for opamp you could use -12 as ground for second stage or just run the opamp in single supply and use a divider to have +12V and use as ground in the first stage.

Maybe a scheme will help us to help you better.

JS

this should not be too difficult. build a three voltage puwer supply with +15-15V for the opamp parts and a 24V one for the BA283. all grounds can come together, no problem. so you have +24, +15 and -15V referenced to ground.

now imagine the signal swing: the first part your signal will swing around 0V in the range of your design, lets say +/-12V...max. now you come to the output stage. It is isolated from a DC point of view either through the input transformer or a cap. the signal will swing around a new reference, in this case around +12V set from the BA283 bias and swing between 2v to 22v may be. the output is isolated again through a transformer or via a cap so that you get a DC free signal.

- michael

Back