G7 - advice on cleaning the board

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteC

Hi everyone,
sorry if there are definitive answers on these questions already, but I have read extensively and cant really get to the bottom of this.

After building lots of other gear - Bo's D.I.s, 2x G-Pultecs, a GSSL, 4x Green Pre's, various tube amps  .... I am now building a pair of G7 mics to add to my humble home project studio.

Its the first time I have ever come up against the need to clean the board and consider the high impedance issues with handling of the 1G resistor and the capsule.

I have already soldered everything including the Lundhals to the boards - except for the 1G and 33Meg resistors.

Can I just go ahead and use pcb flux cleaner and solvents to clean up the boards before soldering in these last components ?
Is it OK to clean the board with the transformer etc in place ? Is there a best way to do this - toothbrush, q-tips etc ?
Whats the best solvent to use ?
Any special precautions/procedure for fitting and wiring the capsule.  I have cut circular pieces of 4mm perspex to use for the capsule mount base-plate which I planned to run the capsule wires through to the pcb.

Any advice very welcomed.

Thanks
PeteC 

Thanks both

Gus - I've read a lot of the posts here. I guess specifically I am worried about spraying the pcb now that I have the Lundhal and styro caps soldered in place - whether there would be any ingress.  I will just stick to the Q-tip approach I guess.

many thanks
Pete

I've used a toothbrush. Like cleaning anything, the best cleaning comes from washing as well as possible with the solvent. I see a white haze when just rubbing a little on an area, but if you can hold the parts over a dish and really use a toothbrush to get the solvent on the area well it will come out without the haze.
And get a high concentration isopropyl alcohol.

Just becareful of the stryro's if you use and air compressor I heard that water can be pushed up into them, from what I have read on the threads.

Check out this link.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=50910.msg646329#msg646329

-Scott

Back