Wish list thread(s)?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unit7

I'm new to DIY and this place. Have noticed the 'feeler' threads from the DIY project designers, but haven't seen any place to put up one's wish list for the designers to consider for future releases. Any such threads?

I can't remember any, besides this one. Forgive me for asking, but you did look up what DIY stands for prior to joining, right? ;)

Anyhow, welcome to the board. There are plenty of projects available for whatever your need should be.

Volker, thx for the tip! Exactly what I was looking for! I'm the kind of DIYer that won't ever design my own PCB or build something from the ground up point to point etc, so I'm depending on what the designers/developers offer... Would love an MXR flanger/doubler in 500 format...

Unit7 said:
I'm new to DIY and this place. Have noticed the 'feeler' threads from the DIY project designers, but haven't seen any place to put up one's wish list for the designers to consider for future releases. Any such threads?
welcome to the board, what is your idea? I have several my projects in Group DIY

regards
Pier Paolo 

ppa said:
Unit7 said:
welcome to the board, what is your idea? I have several my projects in Group DIY

regards
Pier Paolo

Wow, thanks! I just wrote in Igor's thread: MXR flanger/doubler, and Helios 760, both in 500 format.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a separate section for suggested projects? I mean suggestions/wishes from non PCB/full kit designers. The [Feeler]-threads are supposed to be started by the designers, correct?

For a flanger you should try gtr newsgrps , most of the better ones are mentioned in this thread
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=51253.0

you'll notice there are no guitar categories here , and unless someone has a business , of which there
are more all the time , usually people are building for themselves and opening it up to others while
they're at it  , not so much soliciting  idea's because they are bored .

I'm not convinced we need yet another sub forum...

Since this forum is named DIY, why would you want to ask somebody else to design something you want?

=======
Sorry.. I sold a flanger/delay kit back in 1976... Were you born then?

For guitar effects these generally use BBD chips for the delay element.. while not very clean, more than adequate for guitar efx.

Look for app notes for the modern generation of BBDs (Typically re-releases of old Matshusita MN series). For Flanging you want pretty short delay <1 mSec, for Chorus more like 25-35mSec.

---
Not sure why a studio package format for a guitar pedal quality effect, but perhaps I misunderstand your comment.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Not sure why a studio package format for a guitar pedal quality effect, but perhaps I misunderstand your comment.

That's an ongoing debate among manufactures I think.  Some people are using unbalanced stomp boxes (echo's and delays) in recording chains.  There is probably a market at the right price but maybe not.  Maybe we need a sub forum to discuss?  ;)

Thanks for the feedback!
Ok, I get it. My entry to this community was building Brian's chorus, so I'm a little biased from that. Thought perhaps there were a few more designers like him (offering full DIY kits) that would be interested in getting suggestions, and perhaps a few more like me that are not into designing or inventing stuff. But based on your comments this place is a bit more hardcore :)

Re the MXR flanger, I was more thinking about the rack version than the guitar pedal.
Re my age, I was 12 in 1976, so 49 this year. Late DIY beginner :D
I'm owner of a high end mix/overdub studio (Harrison Series 12 console and a lot of outboard) and just found out this fun way of expanding the gear park even more. Waiting for a pair of Brian's 550s and already thinking about what to do after that...

Sorry I didn't mean to be so harsh... No problem asking for anything.

Back in the '70s BBD delay was used for studio efx because digital delay was prohibitively expensive, now not so much.

Now you can buy micro's with 16 bit dacs built in and almost enough onboard memory to make a chorus. Probably enough to make a flanger.

JR

Back