Sifam collet knobs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalb00b00

I'm looking to order some Sifam collet knobs from Canford...

Canford explanation for them is:
"The collet knob design features a nut tightening chuck which tightens onto all pot shafts, with or without flats."

But I have never use collet knobs, and I'm a bit unsure. So pardon me, for asking some stupid questions here.

Can I use the Sifam S151-004 collet knob with my Grayhill 1/8" D shaft rotary switches?
And the Sifam S151-006 collet knob with my 6 mm D shaft pots?

Hi there.

I can't be 100% sure if the D factor will affect the "tightness" of the collet knob around the shaft. I have Sifam collet knobs on a mixing desk, but no D shafts around unfortunately. But if I was you, I would check the S151-004 and change it for an S151-125 if available. The collet knob Sifam catalog states that suffixes -003=3mm  -125=1/8 inch -004=4mm.  Hope that helps.

1/8th is only 3.18mm. 4mm knob will be loose.

I have 4mm and 6mm Grey versions listed in the Black market. In case you need a quantity it saves you quite a lot.

A 6mm sifam knob works satisfactory on 6mm round, d- or knurled shafts if its not too long. There is only one piece that differs between different shaft sizes. I think this piece is the same for all knobs 15mm or larger, so if you hace a 21,5mm 6mm knob and a 15,5mm 1/4" knob, you can turn it into a 21,5mm 1/4" knob.

Edit: Suggest you check out rs-online as well, their prices are a bit better.

SkunkFunk said:
A 6mm sifam knob works satisfactory on 6mm round, d- or knurled shafts if its not too long. There is only one piece that differs between different shaft sizes. I think this piece is the same for all knobs 15mm or larger, so if you hace a 21,5mm 6mm knob and a 15,5mm 1/4" knob, you can turn it into a 21,5mm 1/4" knob.

So you have tried the 6 mm collet knob with a 6 mm D shaft?
Which brand? Sifam or Elma?
Have you also tried the 1/8" collet knob with a 1/8" D shaft (or 1/4" collet knob with 1/4" D shaft)?
Is the brass insert griping nicely to the shaft?
Was there any wobbly/wonky feeling when turning the knob?

Hehehe, sorry for lobbing so many questions at you.

Problem is, I can't find out the answers for myself because I need to buy the knobs from overseas first.
With import tax and shipping fee, the knob becomes $15/piece, which is very expensive for a prototype of a "not sure if I can sell yet" commercial project.

So I'm waiting for definite answers coming from someone who had done it. It's hard making money these days, and every penny you spent must be spent wisely.

metalb00b00 said:
SkunkFunk said:

Have you also tried the 1/8" collet knob with a 1/8" D shaft (or 1/4" collet knob with 1/4" D shaft)?

Problem is, I can't find out the answers for myself because I need to buy the knobs from overseas first.
With import tax and shipping fee, the knob becomes $15/piece, which is very expensive for a prototype of a "not sure if I can sell yet" commercial project.

So I'm waiting for definite answers coming from someone who had done it. It's hard making money these days, and every penny you spent must be spent wisely.

I have used 1/8" Sifam knobs on 1/8" D shaft Grayhill switches with no problems.
Best,
Bruno2000

metalb00b00 said:
SkunkFunk said:

I have not actually used the 6mm on d-shafts on a finished project, but I think I've tried it on a d-shaft rotary encoder and I cant remember any problems. 4mm, however, does work. I've used them several times on 4mm d-shaft potentiometers from audiomaintenance without any wobblyness whatsoever. The important thing is just to ensure that all of the four "claws" on the brass insert gets some kind of contact to the shaft; you cant have one what is entirely over the gap.

I've almost exclusively used sifam knobs, but I think the brass inserts from the two brands are interchangeable.

And if you're thinking of drilling a 6mm brass insert into a 1/4", dont do it. It will get nearly impossible to fasten  ::)

bruno2000 said:
I have used 1/8" Sifam knobs on 1/8" D shaft Grayhill switches with no problems.

I have not actually used the 6mm on d-shafts on a finished project, but I think I've tried it on a d-shaft rotary encoder and I cant remember any problems. 4mm, however, does work. I've used them several times on 4mm d-shaft potentiometers from audiomaintenance without any wobblyness whatsoever. The important thing is just to ensure that all of the four "claws" on the brass insert gets some kind of contact to the shaft; you cant have one what is entirely over the gap.

I've almost exclusively used sifam knobs, but I think the brass inserts from the two brands are interchangeable.

And if you're thinking of drilling a 6mm brass insert into a 1/4", dont do it. It will get nearly impossible to fasten  ::)

Best,
Bruno2000

Awesome! Thanks Bruno.

And no, I wasn't thinking of drilling the brass insert. The knobs are too expensive to be messing around with, hehe ;)

I find Elma and Sifam knobs incredibly expensive. 2 or 3 USD for a knob, 70 cents for a cap - that's $200 per oz!
I have found Farnell have a line of cost-effective knobs such as
http://fr.farnell.com/multicomp/cp-lb16-1-1d/knob-16mm-black-cap-3-2-shaft/dp/1441072
or
http://fr.farnell.com/multicomp/cp-lb16-5-6d/knob-16mm-black-cap-6-shaft/dp/1441080

Back