How often are your Mouser orders 100% correct?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kato - I have requested several image changes (through-hole components shown as SMD, and PC mount switches shown as panel mounts).  each time, they have responded via email almost immediately and made the change within a day or two.

The only mistake mouser made is they sent me 30 feet of belden cable instead of the 100 i paid for. I only found out weeks later so did not bother. They are fast, here in montréal i get it the next day!

straypacket said:
Kato - I have requested several image changes (through-hole components shown as SMD, and PC mount switches shown as panel mounts).  each time, they have responded via email almost immediately and made the change within a day or two.

That's good!  In the days before they added the "see the error" button (not that long ago) we'd go round and round with my e-mail getting passed off to different departments.  Once they wrote back again and asked "What do you want again?"  I just wrote "FIX YOUR fucking DESCRIPTION!"

Anybody remember placing their first Mouser order by phone? 

They've automated a lot since the days when parts came with hand-labeled tags.  I still have a bunch of these to remind me:

mouser_old_packaging.jpg

(I recently still had some around without the www.mouser.com.) (!!)

That is definitely the real question. 

I've taken to (a) ordering as much of a given part as I can afford at the time (e.g. Xicon 271 series resistors - 200 will be $4).

And (b) trying to get as many projects in an order as I can afford, since shipping is nasty.

My last order was short by One. I sent them an emai, they Apologized by email and they sent me the Overnight box with the one cap In it. And I hadn't shipped the original order via FedEx i use US Postal Service

They have always fixed any problems I've had I think it's an awesome company I wish they sold transformers,

> I wish they sold transformers,

They must have 5,000 transformers. Not high-end specialty, no.... if a general distributor had a part, it wouldn't be so special. They can get you nearly any Hammond, good workhorse audio. And I have seen a DI iron which sure seemed to be Jensen with one difference (for $1 more!) (dunno what was really in it).

> Anybody remember placing their first Mouser order by phone?

Phone?!?! Long-distance dialing costs a LOT! A stamp is cheaper. Anyway you need to send them a check! Who knows anybody with a credit-card? Not me, then.

This was probably Digi-Key, in the suspiciously named town of Thief River Falls. I didn't hear of Mouser until much later.

I did call Digi-Key, once. I needed something small in a great rush. I called to be sure it could ship that day and that the smallness was not a problem (in that day I had to pay-up to a $20 minimum for a $6 item, so no problem). And that may have been just before the Web became a decent order method.

Both operations have always been quick to fix mistakes. Both operations have incredible picking-shipping operations. I think Mouser has an online tour. You can see how if an operation that huge isn't 99.99% perfect, the cost of overnighting make-goods would break them.

The flaws in their online catalogs do not BEGIN to compete with Home Depot's sorry listings.

And H-D has no "report error" system. eMail goes into a blank hole. I could not find a 12" box because it was listed as 6.9"(??). When I found it (using the Carlon number), I posted a "review" saying the right size. I assumed that, like my other review, they would reject my 'review' but maybe fix the listing. No, they approved and posted it, did NOT fix the listing.

PRR said:
Phone?!?! Long-distance dialing costs a LOT! A stamp is cheaper. Anyway you need to send them a check! Who knows anybody with a credit-card? Not me, then.

This was probably Digi-Key, in the suspiciously named town of Thief River Falls. I didn't hear of Mouser until much later.

Nope, I definitely placed a phone order with Mouser in the early 90's. It was a year after I wrote them that they finally sent a catalog. The credit card I had. The guts to make a call, not so much. It was extremely tedious, and I got the distinct feeling that I was annoying the person. Could have been just my lack of confidence and self-effacing nature, at the time.

Why Mouser? Craig Anderton's book - which I checked out of the library. He called out Mouser as the place you could get the inductor for his passive tone control, my first functioning project, which I still have somewhere.

I also have a memory of placing mail orders by filling out a form in the back of the catalog. It took weeks to build an order. (I worked slowly.)

My three paper catalogs were from Jameco, Mouser, and Parts Express, and they were like prized possessions. I lived in a small town with one electronics shop: Stansifer Radio Company, which stocked only the basics - so catalogs were my lifeline to this esoteric world.  Such a different time then. And not that long ago really.

And you know that almost guaranteed phenomenon where you place a Mouser order and realize you forgot one thing?  So much worse then.

ordered from them frequently. Small and larger orders.
I use mouser for "bigger parts", I don't bother for resistors etc, as I always find myself to forget a bunch while ordering. We have a good component shop nearby, with quality parts. I go get my resistors and small basic parts there.

But for IC's (except the occasional TL072), connectors, hard to find lamps, batteries, less standard caps, ... I love mouser.

As previously mentioned, their site is very easy to navigate and find parts on, and I love their selection of components (I've never seen such an amount of connectors).

However, on a recent search for a push lock pot (which, apparently is very uncommon), their specs were not correct as per the product name. I didn't know about the "see an error" knob, will be trying that out now :)

Orders arrived correctly, fast and well packed. Never had any problems with them. Only downside is that when I order a single 2$ part, I pay 40$ shipping to belgium, but that rarely happens that I place such a small order...

Regards,
Bert.

mouser has been much better than farnell, rs, maplins or rapid. Huge selection, fast shipping (2-3 days if you are in the UK) and never got anything wrong. Can't say the same for the above.

Yes you are right, I mis-spoke, I wish they sold high end specialty transformers.

But for audio, I have always avoided using the workhorses, I usually scavenge transformers from old gear, but perhaps I should try out some Hammond.

PRR said:
> I wish they sold transformers,

They must have 5,000 transformers. Not high-end specialty, no.... if a general distributor had a part, it wouldn't be so special. They can get you nearly any Hammond, good workhorse audio. And I have seen a DI iron which sure seemed to be Jensen with one difference (for $1 more!) (dunno what was really in it).

Latest posts

Back