Replacements for BC184C transistor?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Che_Guitarra

I have a limited understanding of transistors and their interchangeability, but for an upcoming 2 x 1084 EQ project I need nearly two dozen BC184C transistors, which, after an hour of searching are seemingly non-existent.

It seems BC550C could be a workable replacement, but I just want that confirmed before I place an order with Mouser.  Or perhaps there's a better transistor option to replace a BC184C?

I read in another thread here that the MPSA18 (rotated 180 degrees) is pretty suitable replacement for the BC184. In my Neve builds it sounds great. But I would like to see what others have to say about it and some of the other recommended transistors.

All the cross reference tools on the major manufacturers sites say BC549C...not sure how much it differs from the 550 without checking the datasheet.

it's listed on this website...

https://sites.google.com/site/diypartsstore/catalog/transistors-diodes

not sure if he has them in stock... :)

I have stock of BC184C.

Selected and labeled (the bag they come in) for Hfe.

This lets you put the correct 600 Hfe or above transistors in the first positions of each gain stage.

Contact info here;

www.ssevintageaudio.com

Thanks,

James Rowell

I too am a little puzzled about it. Some BC550C have high enough hfe to be a proper replacement, so am wondering is it enough or will BC184C still is a superior component?

you mean the BC184LC?

i have a bunch of them... im curious if its a proper replacement for a BC184C, if the different pinout it compensated for.

Mike

i am a bit of a newb.. and i cant tell by looking at the data sheet.  do you think that the BC184LC is a good replacement for a BC184C, if i compensate for the different pinout?

Looks like Mouser and Farnell are both recommending the BC547CZL1G as replacement for the BC184c.  Has anyone had any experience using this?

Fuccimain said:
Looks like Mouser and Farnell are both recommending the BC547CZL1G as replacement for the BC184c.  Has anyone had any experience using this?

547 isn't a low noise device... 550 and 549 do. Should be fine with those, if you couldn't finde the 184 for the mojo!

ah, thanks for that info joaquins, I didn't know about the low noise etc.

I'll prob end up using the BC184L.. or the the BC109C..... but the 109C costs 4x as much as the 184L

BCxxxC that last C means high ß so try to keep it that way, I don't know what is 184L without the C, minimun ß in particular seems the same, max not showed for 184L, in 184C is pretty close to 550C but minimun specs are much lower... maybe old part and that... 550C is at least 400, I've have a 400 of those and read a couple of 395 in the lowers and up to 570 for a couple. most between 430 and 500.

Depending the application higher current gain may help.

JS

Higher current gain will most likely mean a little lower base current noise contribution.

Latest posts

Back