dbx low cost series (SMD or DIP8 etc)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SASMastering

Hi all, I am wondering is anyone knows if this series of kit from dbx is surface mount now or if they still use DIP 8 and above chips.

I always remember dbx equipment being the quietest of which I owned in an old home studio.
I had a compressor from this series and I think that used full size VCA's etc. But it would be nice if anyone can confirm.

Much obliged

You should be able to check on their website www.thatcorp.com .

I expect dip packaging to become harder to find since no new products would use it, so it becomes a extra (wasted) expense for THAT to package them that way,

JR

Well, for a lot of THAT's preamp or line amp ICs they are trying to be a direct replacement for another outdated or obsolete part, so I think they'll always have a DIP part available for those. For new ICs with no old part to replace, they'll use SM packaging, like the 1570 preamp IC.

But almost always the DIP part is more expensive than the surface mount, so I would think that newer gear will use the cheaper part.

I had a fairly newish 1046 and it was surface-mount.

If there's a specific piece you have in mind then I might be able to check it's innards; I work at a dbx dealer and we have a fair amount of pieces in our rental stock where I can open them up and look inside.

There's no way I can check out the innards of a 120A. We only tend to stock the more practical pieces. At it's price point though, I'd venture a guess that it's surface-mount.

Back