OEP A262A3E in Guitar to Mic level converter and vice versa.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d.redfern

Hello
Ok so my aim is to make two passive box's 1.guitar to mic level  and 2. mic to guitar level, so I can run a guitar long distances to an amp.
pretty much like this http://www.jensen-transformers.com/as/as097.pdf

The transformer used in the Jensen schematic is a 12:1 transformer, the OEP A262A3E has a 1+1:6.45+6.45 ratio, does this mean if I wire the secondary in series (Guitar In) and then take one of the primaries (mic output), that I will have achieved a 12:1 ratio?

Also if this isn't the case, can I use a pad at the input to achieve a similar result?

What will I need to do to achieve the right impedances, the output impedance of the primaries are 150R each which should be fine for a mic level signal? What will I need to do to achieve the right impedance's on the mic to guitar level converter?

Thank you
Doug

well the distance i want to run the signal is not very long, but i'm getting a lot of noise when either using long guitar cables and when I send the signal down the tie lines. So I thought this might be another solution, and relatively cheap too.

Am I right about the winding ratio's?
Thanks
Doug

DI - long mic cable - reamp.
easy and much better better preservation of the guitar tone than using a step down transformer.

I would be using a step down and then a step up transformer. I could easily make a re-amper out of this transformer, will it matter that the signal that comes out of my DI is a lower voltage and impedance? I.e mic level rather than line?

Hello,

I've done exactly this using exactly these transformers, wired as 6.45:1 and 1:6.45. I just paralleled a pair of jacks on the secondary of the transformer, then a male and female XLR paralleled on the stepped down primary... I don't think I even bothered with the zobel network, and it works fine for me!

When used as a standalone re-amp box the step up is pretty high, so you might end up dropping the levels coming in to it, but that's easily done.

squib said:
DI - long mic cable - reamp.
easy and much better better preservation of the guitar tone than using a step down transformer.

That's exactly what he's proposing doing... you can use a fancy active DI if you like, the OEP transformer doesn't do a bad job though.

Back