Cathode follower shared plate voltage

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vernois

Im building 2 a channel Altec 1566a. For the cathode follower circuit there's no plate load resistors. Is using one channel going to affect the plate voltages on the other? I don't have much experience with cathode follower circuits, and I'm not sure if there will be a large voltage swing affecting the opposite channel.
Does anyone have any opinions about using the same B+ on two different Plates in this scenario.
Thanks for any help, Gavin

Yes' but not much. This cathode follower runs in class A. This means that irrespective of the signal level, the average  plate current is constant, unlike a class B op amp for example where it is proportional to signal level. This means that if it is adequately decoupled, instantaneous current demands will be supplied by the decoupling capacitor and the plate voltage variation will be negligible. Furthermore, a cathode follower has a PSRR close to the mu of the tube so the amount of plate voltage variation is reduced by this amount by the time it reaches the output cathode.

If you are really concerned about it, just separately decouple each of the two output stages and use a meaty decoupling cap like 100uF.

Cheers

Ian

That depends on how this B+ is decoupled. If it's a standard 10-47uF, there is nothing to worry about.
Anyway, the cath follower stage has excellent inherent PSRR, so x-talk there is a non-issue.

Oh! Ian beat me to it...

Latest posts

Back