Official C12 Clone - Build and Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chunger... My PSU internal layout is a little different from the pics shown in this thread (APEX 460). My transformer was secured onto the circuit board...which I'm sure was attached to some sort of ground. The power cord input ground wire was secured by bolt screw through the transformer casing into the circuit board. It looks like from the pics in this thread that the PSU power cord wire is grounded to the PSU outer casing. Is this so? Can I ground the lead wire from the power cord input to the PSU outer case? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hey guys, I did some drum recording last night with my new Matachung C12s - these mics are exquisite! Using a microphone-parts CK12 and a NOS GE 6072 from Christian, it just kills; so much so that I'm selling my Mojave MA-200s and building 2 more! The high end of these mics are just SMOOTH and the sounds are just real! the high end of the Mojave sounds harsh in comparison.

When I get the other two built (with capsules from Tim), I'll so some more recording and post some sound clips.

anyone know where to buy those haufe t14 transformers? how much are they from haufe?

just e-mail them?

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but does anyone have any of Chunger's HT-11A mics that they are willing to part with? Just got word that my Tim Campbell capsules are ready and instead of replacing the RK12 in the mics I already built (I'm thrilled with the mics)...I'm going to build two more.  With Chunger's estimate of late July for the next batch to arrive, that's just too long to wait!! :)

KMB-AUDIO said:
Not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but does anyone have any of Chunger's HT-11A mics that they are willing to part with? Just got word that my Tim Campbell capsules are ready and instead of replacing the RK12 in the mics I already built (I'm thrilled with the mics)...I'm going to build two more.  With Chunger's estimate of late July for the next batch to arrive, that's just too long to wait!! :)

...in a pinch, Carvin has their version (same as Alctron HST-11A) on sale for $179 each:
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/CTM100

...more info:
http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Carvin/CTM100

EEMO1 said:
anyone know where to buy those haufe t14 transformers? how much are they from haufe?

just e-mail them?

Hi,

I have been in contact with Michaela from Haufe re this recently... Just be aware that they have a 120 euro minimum order, and weren't exactly forthcoming that one trafo is worth 43 euro pre tax. So it's obviously better to buy 2-3 at a time.

If you'd like her email, I'll PM it to you.

Matt

Can someone confirm if the Carvin has a compatible psu?  I direct people to the Apex 460 because I know almost for certain that it comes from the same factory, but the Carvin unit has the tell-tale sign of being supplied by a different factory than Alctron (the dark red plastic pieces holding the tube as opposed to orange).  I am nearly certain I know who makes this mic and the psu should be just fine, but I'd really like to see a photo verification before directing customers who are needing to build immediately to the Carvin product as a suitable donor.

Matador built a prototype on an Apex 460, so we know for sure that one is good to go as a donor.

In the White Market, Member Burdij's DIY General Store (Grove Audio) is selling
a complete Mic kit at a reduced price of $150.00
It is manufactured by Alctron and is their model HST-11a.

Woot said:
EEMO1 said:

just e-mail them?

Hi,

I have been in contact with Michaela from Haufe re this recently... Just be aware that they have a 120 euro minimum order, and weren't exactly forthcoming that one trafo is worth 43 euro pre tax. So it's obviously better to buy 2-3 at a time.

If you'd like her email, I'll PM it to you.

Matt

sure! thanks!

chunger said:
Can someone confirm if the Carvin has a compatible psu?  I direct people to the Apex 460 because I know almost for certain that it comes from the same factory, but the Carvin unit has the tell-tale sign of being supplied by a different factory than Alctron (the dark red plastic pieces holding the tube as opposed to orange).  I am nearly certain I know who makes this mic and the psu should be just fine, but I'd really like to see a photo verification before directing customers who are needing to build immediately to the Carvin product as a suitable donor.

Matador built a prototype on an Apex 460, so we know for sure that one is good to go as a donor.

...Chung, from what I know, the older Apex 460, Carvin CTM100, and the Nady TCM 1150 had the red plastic tube mount supports, and the newer 460/Alctron are shipping with the orange, as are some Carvin...(you can see the older 460 here in comparison to the Telefunken M16:
http://recordinghacks.com/articles/telefunken-m16-and-apex-460-comparison/)
...I know the Nady originated from ShauiYin, as I suspect the Carvin does as well...certainly a confirmation of the PSU would be helpful to corroborate what I suspect (that these all originate from the same manufacturing source)...attached is a pic of the Carvin PSU I found on the net...I hope this helps...

Attachments

• DSC_0138.jpg
    DSC_0138.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 43
Chung...and here is a pic of a newer Carvin with the orange parts...

...all of the accessories (case, mount, cables) appear to be identical to the Alctron as well...I only suggested this option as a stop-gap until your newer inventory arrives...I hope you understand...

Attachments

• 1111.jpg
    1111.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 35
The photos show pcb-mounted power transformers.  I wonder if that was an older style of construction because I have current ShuaiYin and Alctron PSU's, and they both use the same chassis-mounted configuration for the power transformer that our kit is designed around. 

It looks like you can totally build our kit on the older type pcb-mounted power supplies, you would just need to drill 2 holes and mount the power transformer to the chassis since our pcb does not have provision for mounting the transformer.  The chassis looks unchanged between the 2 versions.

I'm hoping someone who purchased the Carvin mic recently can take a photo of the psu internals and confirm.

Winetree said:
In the White Market, Member Burdij's DIY General Store (Grove Audio) is selling
a complete Mic kit at a reduced price of $150.00
It is manufactured by Alctron and is their model HST-11a.

I just snagged one of these, thanks Winetree.  I'll post how it fits together once it all arrives.

chunger said:
The photos show pcb-mounted power transformers.  I wonder if that was an older style of construction because I have current ShuaiYin and Alctron PSU's, and they both use the same chassis-mounted configuration for the power transformer that our kit is designed around. 

It looks like you can totally build our kit on the older type pcb-mounted power supplies, you would just need to drill 2 holes and mount the power transformer to the chassis since our pcb does not have provision for mounting the transformer.  The chassis looks unchanged between the 2 versions.

I'm hoping someone who purchased the Carvin mic recently can take a photo of the psu internals and confirm.

This was the same transformer configuration for the two TNC ACM1200 mics that I modded. I did exactly that, just drilled two holes to mount the transformer to the chassis.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=51377.msg661093#msg661093

Latest posts

Back