Official C12 Clone - Build and Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Matador, I have made the regulations with a 180K Ohm resistor placed between B+ and ground
With R4 dialed to minimum I have 83 Volt
With R4 dialed to maximum I have 105 Volt

Woot said:
Hey Pip,

Thanks. Yeah I wrote an email requesting a pair, asked about a deposit etc. I just presumed he'd write back a confirmatiOn email or whatnot.

So I suppose based on your experience I have a couple of capsules on the brew. Sweet

Regards,

Matt
Pip said:
Woot said:
Pip said:
Well only to chime in with all the others who have the same understanding I now  do. I just installed my Tim Campbell Capsule and it is well worth the wait. It truly is a beautiful thing and Tim is an awesome guy you can just telll by the way he writes his emails.

Hey Pip,

Good to hear about the TC capsule, and congrats on the build. Did it take Tim long to reply to your emails? I emailed him about 4 weeks ago but no reply, and no luck on either phone number either. Any advice in contacting him would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt

Did you put in a request for a capsule. If so it takes about 8 to 10 weeks to get one. Basically all I did was email him saying I wanted one and then when it was ready he emailed me back. But it was at least 8 weeks between the two.

best

This was my experience as well. When your capsule is ready he sends an e-mail and requests a bank transfer--no PayPal, no credit card.

Buying a capsule from Tim Campbell reminds me of the Seinfeld Soup Nazi episode (http://youtu.be/uVqBzP0xdKk)...

…yes, it is worth the wait, but you must follow Tim's rules and not bug him, or it's, "NO CAPSULE FOR YOU!!!!"

Gearsix said:
Hi Matador, I have made the regulations with a 180K Ohm resistor placed between B+ and ground
With R4 dialed to minimum I have 83 Volt
With R4 dialed to maximum I have 105 Volt

This seems odd.  Are you sure you stuffed a 100K resistor in for R4?  A 100K pot with 0.5mA test current should provide almost 50V of adjustment.

This was my experience as well. When your capsule is ready he sends an e-mail and requests a bank transfer--no PayPal, no credit card.

Buying a capsule from Tim Campbell reminds me of the Seinfeld Soup Nazi episode (http://youtu.be/uVqBzP0xdKk)...

…yes, it is worth the wait, but you must follow Tim's rules and not bug him, or it's, "NO CAPSULE FOR YOU!!!!"

I believe he accepts paypal you just cover the fees and shipping. He also puts the tarriiffs if any on you.

Yes, the R4 trimmer is 100K Ohm and I have double checked all the components
May be influent that I use 220 Volt? (I think no, but ...)

Gearsix said:
Yes, the R4 trimmer is 100K Ohm and I have double checked all the components
May be influent that I use 220 Volt? (I think no, but ...)

Maybe...what is the voltage after the diode rectifier (the point where R1 and C1 meet)?  What about the node where R1, R2, and C2 meet?

scott_humphrey said:

Lmao!, tims capsules are silly good, i dialed in a couple builds with the stock capsules and was pretty impressed, then i actually wondered how much of a diff the ct12's would make? I installed them, and kapow! mind blown!

Hi Matador,
in the point where R1 meets C1 I have 306 Volt, while in the point where R2 meets C2 I have 244 Volt
Thank you for your kindness  :)

"This was my experience as well. When your capsule is ready he sends an e-mail and requests a bank transfer--no PayPal, no credit card.

I am extremely busy and so slow to answer. There is currently a 10 week lead time on my capsules. I am never arbitrary or vindictive as to who receives a capsule from me and so find the comparison to Sienfeld's "soup nazi" to be unfair.

It can sometimes be hard to keep track of who I may or may not have contacted when people use alias' and their own name as well as multiple email addresses.

I accept PayPal.

"He also puts the tarriiffs if any on you." I impose no tarriffs on anyone. This is at the discretion of the country in which you live.

I am currently travelling with my family and will return to Denmark on th17th.

Tim Campbell said:
I am extremely busy and so slow to answer. There is currently a 10 week lead time on my capsules. I am never arbitrary or vindictive as to who receives a capsule from me and so find the comparison to Sienfeld's "soup nazi" to be unfair.

It can sometimes be hard to keep track of who I may or may not have contacted when people use alias' and their own name as well as multiple email addresses.

I accept PayPal.

"He also puts the tarriiffs if any on you." I impose no tarriffs on anyone. This is at the discretion of the country in which you live.

Hi Tim,

This was meant to be in fun, and I apologize if you did not take it that way. I'm a big fan of your work, and I did not intend to offend.

We've all grown accustomed to visiting an online shop and placing an order with the click of a button. Then we instantly receive an email with a receipt, estimated shipping time, etc. With your product ordering is a little more complicated      …but that is fine. Like the Soup Nazi, you produce a product that is so good that people will put up with an unorthodox method of ordering. I don't mean this to be a complaint.

Best regards,
Scott

P.S. Please don't say "NO CAPSULE FOR YOU!!!" because I'd like to order another one in the future.  ;)

I e-mailed Tim Campbell on 3/5/2013 for capsules.
17 weeks without any response what so ever. What's up with that????
Robert Dire
Mediatalker

Winetree said:

I e-mailed Tim Campbell on 3/5/2013 for capsules.
17 weeks without any response what so ever. What's up with that????
Robert Dire
Mediatalker

Maybe you got missed or went to spam.  I emailed him a couple of times thinking I was being overlooked but he eventually got back to me to let me know I was on the list.  I think it did take about 6 weeks to get on the list, but such is the nature of things when there is insane demand for a product only one man can make.  At least we all know the wait and effort are worth it!

Remember, he doesn't just supply the DIY community (whose demand is high thanks to this project) but several manufacturers who require guaranteed product in order to keep their stock healthy.  I imagine our orders get filled when there is surplus or down time from supplying the likes of FLEA, etc.

Tim,
Maybe this can help you with your records.
Mediatalker Emailed 3/05/13,
                                3/14/13,
                                4/14/13      ( all from same Name and e-mail address )
                                5/08/13
                                5/15/13        ( check both of your email addresses for above dates )
                                  P.M.'d          ( Winetree-fourm name )

As of now I haven't had any response.

Gearsix said:
Hi Matador,
in the point where R1 meets C1 I have 306 Volt, while in the point where R2 meets C2 I have 244 Volt
Thank you for your kindness  :)

Ok so you are loosing 62V across 91K (R1):  this is 0.68mA.  Looks right on.

Another 62V will be lost across R2 which leaves 182V before the pot.  With R4 at max 100K, this should drop another 68V MAX when dialed to maximum resistance.  This should mean B+ should be at minimum 114V.  Decreasing R4 should be raising it from there.

A 180K load resistor sinks 0.5mA at 100V, and the B+ bleeder R6 should leak away 0.2mA, so this all seems to add up to the current through R1. 

Either:

1) R2 isn't the right value
2) The pot you got for R4 is much higher in value than expected

If you don't care about why it's off, you need about 30V more at a draw of 0.68mA, which is the same as taking a total of 44K away.  Take 22K equally from both R1 and R2.  A 68K for each should work to bring B+ back up to where it should be.

Hi Matador,
I have verified R2 and R4, but they are of the right value
Anyway, as you suggested to me I have replaced R1 and R2 with 68K Ohm resistors, and now I have 117 Volt (with the 180K Ohm resistor placed between B+ and gnd)
From another side I have completed to rebuild the microphone that works perfectly (no noise or other problems)
Do you think it is necessary a further reduction in the R1 and R2 value to obtain 120 Volt?
Thank you

Tim Campbell said:

Hi Tim,

Thanks for clearing a few things up. I look forward to sometime getting my hands on a couple of your capsules, and echo everyones thanks for this service.

Matt

Robert, I have you on my list for 3 capsules from the 6th of May. I have no idea why you didn't receive my response. My email is unix based and sometimes spam filters kick my mails to the receiver's trash.

Gearsix said:
Hi Matador,
I have verified R2 and R4, but they are of the right value
Anyway, as you suggested to me I have replaced R1 and R2 with 68K Ohm resistors, and now I have 117 Volt (with the 180K Ohm resistor placed between B+ and gnd)
From another side I have completed to rebuild the microphone that works perfectly (no noise or other problems)
Do you think it is necessary a further reduction in the R1 and R2 value to obtain 120 Volt?
Thank you

So 44K less and only an increase of 10V implies a different current than before.  Something odd is happening:  the math isn't working out.

How does the mike sound?  The tube wont care about 117V (it is fine) but the adjustment range seems wrong to me.  I'm beginning to suspect you might have a leaky filter cap (C1 through C4).  Are you also sure C5 is installed the correct way?

Just to confirm:  you are planning on using a 6072A tube?

Latest posts

Back