Official C12 Clone - Build and Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ArnoldLayne said:
Actually, omni sounds edxactly like cardio.

Ahhh, that changes things a bit. ;)  What capsule are you using, and can you take some photo's of how it's connected?

One thing:  most edge terminated capsules have the capsule connections under one of the mounting screws on the front face(s)...sometimes the screw connects to the opposite diaphragm.

Order arrived yesterday. The kit looks great and I was actually quite surprised with the build quality of the Alctron mic. Obviously its not German, but with some cosmetic tweaks, I think it'll look quite impressive.

I actually have some original CK12 capsules and I will be using one for this project.

Will I be the first to do so or has anyone else tried this?

I look forward to posting some audio clips once finished and I'll probably borrow/rent an original C12 for comparison.

Interesting times ahead!

What capsule are you using, and can you take some photo's of how it's connected?

I'm using Mic & Mod MK12 (http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=53177.0), which looks like the microphone-parts RK-12 but a little bigger I think. They don't have an installation guide yet so I just followed the one on microphone-parts..
Yannick from Mic & Mod said that they are currently working on tutorials.

Only one of the backplates are wired, so I considered that side to be the front.
Will take a picture as soon as I can.

Randallizer said:
Order arrived yesterday. The kit looks great and I was actually quite surprised with the build quality of the Alctron mic. Obviously its not German, but with some cosmetic tweaks, I think it'll look quite impressive.

I actually have some original CK12 capsules and I will be using one for this project.

Will I be the first to do so or has anyone else tried this?

I look forward to posting some audio clips once finished and I'll probably borrow/rent an original C12 for comparison.

Interesting times ahead!

Please report back!  Any objective comparisons against good-condition original C12's are greatly appreciated for development.  Your use of an original "aged" capsule is also informative for evaluating the preamp.

Problem solved ! ;D
After replacing C10, C11 and C13, the mic is 100% functionnal.

Here are the pictures anyway, for those interested in the CK12

Attachments

• Front.JPG
    Front.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 43
I'm curious about this too. . . I'm sure that industry insiders may be able to negotiate and maneuver their channels for parts, but I think it may be a rare thing for a company to offer premium capsules for sale to the general DIY public upon request at small quantity (at non-absurd prices).  Thiersch, Beesneez, and Tim (current backlog aside) being notable exceptions. . . their efforts well appreciated in these parts of the web.

Re: the Mhbo Haun capsule: I think reply #7 on the propound web forum says it all...

"Yesterday Kerstin Haun answered my email regarding the correct capsule designation. To my surprise she wrote "our large diaphragm capsules are called KA1000 (the cardioid) and KA1100 (the omni). We don't have other designations for it."
She also confirmed the possibility of retuning a capsule (within certain limits).

Hmmm. So I fear this "Haun CK12"- thing will go on (and on)... Sad
Perhaps David Bock can tell us under which designation he bought the capsules (please!).

But I can understand Kerstin Haun's answer. Because of it's high quality this capsule was (is) quite desirable for Mic-DIYers. However, MBHO seems to dislike the use of their capsules in homemade microphones.
I found a post from 2004 by Marcus Demuth (US representative of MBHO) in a DIY-forum which I'd like to quote: "MBHO Germany, or its US distr. MTC-MBHO US is not planning to expand its current OEM business (s.a. capsules) to additional companies, or individuals, such as DIY'ers."

http://repforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=22037.0

For what ever reason I dont think MHBO wants to advertise that their capsule is based on the CK12
I is the info on the capsule in question???

http://www.mbho.de/pdf/ka1000n_ka1100k.pdf

Distributed by Dale proaudio

http://www.daleproaudio.com/p-13274-mbho-ka1000n-large-diaphragm-cardioid-microphone-capsule.aspx

Thanks Mat, I look forward to reading your thoughts.

Matador said:
ajemutt said:
Hey all,

Has anyone used a 6201 tube for this build? I've been told that a good 6201 sounds just as nice as a good 6072, but that the 6201 might be a little more plentiful long term.

I'm curious to know what you folks think.

thx!

AJ

I'll have some updates on this topic (e.g. 6201) in a week or so.  The fast answer is:  probably not a good tube, at least for this application...

Probably better to focus on high quality / low-noise true 12AT7 tubes.

Matador said:
ajemutt said:
Hey all,

Has anyone used a 6201 tube for this build? I've been told that a good 6201 sounds just as nice as a good 6072, but that the 6201 might be a little more plentiful long term.

I'm curious to know what you folks think.

thx!

AJ

I'll have some updates on this topic (e.g. 6201) in a week or so.  The fast answer is:  probably not a good tube, at least for this application...

Probably better to focus on high quality / low-noise true 12AT7 tubes.

...I thought this had already been discussed...I've been substituting NOS GE 6201 (12AT7WA) tubes in many of my mics that originally were equipped with a 6072 (12AY7) variant...it has slightly different tonal qualities in comparison to the 6072, as well as slightly higher output, but in most cases, it's a very viable option...I've found it to be more mid-forward with less top-end extension than the 6072...I prefer it over other 12AT7 variants for microphone purposes...

...it should be noted that David Bock has also chosen to equip his 251 clone (his Soundelux version formerly a 6072 equipped mic) with NOS 6201 tubes:
http://www.bockaudio.com/251.html

...here is a post by another respected microphone designer commenting on Mr. Bock's decision to substitute the 6201 for the 6072:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/7252716-post17.html

...my personal vintage/variant preference for microphone application:
http://www.nostubestore.com/2010/06/general-electric-jg-12at7wa6201-tmbp.html

Have you tried their Raytheon, Sylvania and Siemens & Halske 6201/12AT7/ECC81 vintage tubes?

Henk

micaddict said:

Have you tried their Raytheon, Sylvania and Siemens & Halske 6201/12AT7/ECC81 vintage tubes?

Henk

Hi Henk...in researching the military-grade variants of the 1620/12AT7WA, I repeatedly saw references to the Sylvania "12AT7WA GOLD BRAND" as being one of the sonically premium versions...I purchased a few of those and tested them against a number of different GE 6201/12AT7WA/B/C tubes I had...IMHO, the GE 12AT7WA triple-mica blackplates that I tested worked best in the mic circuits where they were utilized...to my ears, the Sylvanias sounded thinner and brighter in those particular instances...I have not tried the Raytheon or Siemens variations...

micaddict said:
Thanks, Dennis!

Oh, and do you get the ones with balanced sections or doesn't that matter much to you in these microphone applications?

...no, I didn't...as long as both triodes tested strong, most of the mics I used these in employed plate-follower circuits that only utilize one triode...I actually purchased a number of these rather cheaply on eBay (quite a while back), tested a few and chose the one I liked best at the time...

Does anybody know where I could acquire one of Tim's CK12 capsules? I've tried several emails with no response

Thanks!
Aaron

Aaronrash said:
Does anybody know where I could acquire one of Tim's CK12 capsules? I've tried several emails with no response

Thanks!
Aaron
From what I hear this is normal...you probably will get an email in x number of weeks saying your capsule is done...at least that's what I read from another guy. I also sent Tim a request for a CK12 but did not get a response; but again I think this is because he is so incredibly backlogged...guy is in high demand.

Aaronrash said:

Thanks!
Aaron

Hey Aaron/Phraze,

I thought the same also, but if you haven't received a response confirming you are on the list, then you are not on the list. At least this is what Tim told me about 6 weeks ago. Good luck!

Cheers,

Matt

chunger said:
Good catch. . . I've corrected the discrepancy.

Pin 5 -
Pin 6 +

:eek:

I'm confused. on the batch from august/september, the PSU comes wired with 5+ and 6- as default.
I think i'll just stick to this through the hole build.

Guys, quick question.
I'm trying to understand what Chunger is trying to achieve when he wired 2 cables to one of the backplates and then to FB and RB on the PCB.
I may have misunderstood the drawing.

He also says it's optional.

right now, I have the front "back" plate wired to FB. do I need to jump FB to RB or do I need to run a second cable from RB (capsule) to RB (PCB)?

.... am I making sense? :p

Back