What the Client Wants...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thermionic

A client's commissioned me to make a custom item for him. I usually make said item in a 1U case. He wants two items, but in a 1U case...

I can make it symmetrical and neat in a 2U case, internally and externally. It'll look like a commercial product, as does the production 1U version.

It can be done in a 1U case, but the wiring will be a dog's dinner and the connections on the rear panel cramped (to the point where I'll have to use cheaper sockets instead of the usual Neutrik ones I use). It'll be 300mm deep and there could be a risk that, long-term, the rack ears will warp (unless I commission a machinist to make a thicker panel for more $$).

He's said he'll accept a 2U version if all else fails, but doesn't seem very happy about it. Obviously, because the 1U version isn't as neat, my 'pride' as an engineer is affected. I want him to be happy with his gadget for yrs to come...but I don't want to put my name to a dog's dinner...

What would you do?

Cheers,
J

edit - one option would be to tell him he's got to pay for an SMD PCB to be designed so the product can be executed neatly... There's also the fact that SMD will need different components, so could potentially sound different to the units he's already heard (I say 'potentially', you know about golden ears...). I doubt he'll want to pay for that.

I wouldn't have given him the option unless he brought it up and then I would have tried to talk him out of it.
I would do my best to explain that 2 of said items in a 1 unit rack space although being possible will ultimately cost more in the long run for various reasons like harder to service if service becomes necessary, longer build time as space in a one unit is premium and to rework the layout to make that possible, takes much time. It's all about time = $, sell him on the idea that it will cost more and I am sure he will change his mind. Then you get to use a 2u case.

Of course he may only have 1 rack space left in his rack.

You want to give the client what he wants but at the same time since it's your name on it, you want it to look and be as awesome as possible.

SO I say do what will look and be awesome which from the sounds of it is a 2u case. I am sure once he sees it he will forget about the 1u case idea altogether.

>What would you do?

Tell him it's a 2-space unit.

>Of course he may only have 1 rack space left in his rack.

He needs a bigger rack.

Not trying to be a smart-arse, but the quality issue cannot be side-stepped if it is to be worth building in the first place - and if he needs more space now, the issue will only reappear next time he wants to expand his kit, so ...  8)

I have similar issue with people requesting custom gear in the 500 format. 

I find it (500 series) too constricting, and usually don't deal with it.  (subjective)

I try to convince folks to go with standard 19" enclosures, citing power supply proximity, ventilation, easier access to pot's and switches, wiring and service constrictions... etc etc.

I have been staging a personal rebelling against 500 series and over-stuffed 1RU's, by building dual preamps in huge Schroff 2 and 3RU cases!!!!!!!!  (ideal for those with meaty fingers)

Fortunately, I'm not exactly a commercial builder (just custom work) I don"t have to worry too much about the marketplace etc.

I hope you are able to make your client happy, and satisfy your personal standard as well.

Attachments

• DSC00014.JPG
    DSC00014.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 66
Some really good suggestions in every post - thanks.

I know he will accept 2U. My 'problem' is that I want him to walk away with his new box with a large smile on his face. My concern is that, if he feels 'forced' to go with a 2U box, it will take some of the shine off his new purchase. Maybe I'm just too sensitive / paranoid about such issues...

A totally revised PCB will cure the issue and I doubt he'll want to pay for it.

thermionic said:
I know he will accept 2U. My 'problem' is that I want him to walk away with his new box with a large smile on his face. My concern is that, if he feels 'forced' to go with a 2U box, it will take some of the shine off his new purchase. Maybe I'm just too sensitive / paranoid about such issues...

I would tell him pretty much what you said here. You can put it in a 1RU case but you feel it is a compromise and that reliability may suffer. You want to make him happy but an extra rack space is preferable to having a broken device when touring Mongolia.

Thanks. I don't think he plans to go touring with it. I think he reckons I'm anally retentive and the 1U version will be fine. It probably will, but it won't look as neat and I'm not totally happy about rough looking gear being in the field, representing what I do.

J

If you think it will be fine but you just would rather it looked better then I'd just bite the bullet. I have plenty of rough masters in the field...I'd just read him the riot act. Things like "normally I stand by my work but in this case if it fails because of the problems I outline I will have to charge you for any repairs". Just throw up enough verbal road blocks so that he has to really really want it in one rack space.

I understand what you're saying here...but I side with Gold on this.

You're used to laying things out a certain way, and have plenty of experience with what works, so cramming things into a 1RU where there's just not much comfy wiggle space can present some uncertainty. If the client really wants that compact unit, give it to him, with the stipulation that he agrees to take it as is, and any unexpected complication along the way are part of the cost. He needs to pay you for your time, that includes debugging. So if you're not an expert at laying this piece out in a small 1RU rack, he gets to pay for the time it takes to make it work.

then he'll probably give in to the 2RU that you wanted to build in the first place.

"I've done some research and I can put it into a 1u case but it will double the price."

Then if he goes for it, terminate your audio connectors to db25.

mushy said:
"I've done some research and I can put it into a 1u case but it will double the price."

Then if he goes for it, terminate your audio connectors to db25.
+1

He's just sent me an email saying the 2U version (which I've spent quite a lot of time making in CAD... invisible time...) is 'ugly'... I'm almost at a point where I feel like telling him to go to a competitor. One makes the very product he's after...it's just that it's harsh, noisy and boxy.

Thanks. It never gets an easier.

Well, that's also a lot of time spent with someone who's beeing picky and noisy...
If his statement bother your personal feelings/knowledge/taste etc...That could also harm the overall product, i mean not building it in a positive mind and way etc..., happy to provide the stuff to the client etc....
If i needed the money i'll keep it as he wants it to be, if i don't need that money an trouble, i'd say "it's 2U or nothing, sorry, my product is garanteed for 2U, please feel free to contact us for any other enquirys, good luck"

You've hit the nail on head re: needing money. I do need it, in order to finance bigger projects that are way behind schedule. The issue at stake here really is my pride. He promises me no one else will see it, particularly inside, which won't look at neat as I'd like.

Love the idea about db25 connectors, although I suspect that would really make him angry  :p

thermionic said:
connections on the rear panel cramped (to the point where I'll have to use cheaper sockets instead of the usual Neutrik ones I use).

Don't want to get into this financial debate, but what exactly is the mechanical problem with the back panel? I've done plenty of 1U aluminum (3-4mm) and steel (1-2mm) back panels and never had trouble or cramped layouts with any neutrik or switchcraft connectors. XLR? They're all the same size too.

Unless you're using a stepped drill for those big holes which is a pathway to destruction of course.

Latest posts

Back