Output transformer comparison?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sr1200

Anyone ever compare the cinemag 9766 (21.6K:150 (12:1) +28dBu ) to the jensen DB-E (200k:1.5k(12:1)+22dBu)?  I currently have a Jensen in my Royer tube mod, and am building a second, but getting in touch with jensen seems to be slow these days.  So i ordered the cinemag, just wondering if im just looking at a output level difference or a complete tonal difference (gonna be a tonal difference anyway since none of the parts were matched and the capsule is a cheapo) Any pro's/cons?

I've used cinemag stuff on all my 312 clones and have been really happy (trying the EA tranys for the first time on the PPA MA-1's im building now).  Anyone have any insight besides Dave at cinemag being overall AWESOME!?

Thanks

Are you referring to Royer's article from Tape Op sep/oct 2001?

Can you post a link to the EXACT circuit you used?  There is at least one error in the Tape Op circuit.  No grid resistor.

9766 is designed for 21k6 feed to the primary.  If it is fed by a higher source resistance, LF response & distortion will be worse.

Anyone know what source resistance is provided by a triode connected 5840 as used in the Royer article ?  It will be less than the 100k plate resistor.

DB-E is designed for 200k feed so is more than good enough .. if a little high DC resistance.

There is at least one error in the Tape Op circuit.  No grid resistor.

I think that's deliberate - it relies on grid leakage to do the job, and avoids a (relatively) hard-to-find part.

It actually works fine with that tube - I have added a 1G when using this circuit, but it seems to make little difference. I was surprised.

Stewart

Ive seen the argument about that resistor missing before, and have seen the same answer lol.

I was more concerned with tonal variation with my OP, since i want to use these mics as relatively inexpensive overhead mics for drums.  If its simply a volume difference thats easy to overcome, but if theres a significant tonal difference, i might have to bite the bullet and order either another cinemag or another jensen (since the cinemag is on its way already)  Just for shnits n giggles, (and since im impatient) i decided to use the cruddy transformer that came in the original donor mic (MXL 2001A).  Besides the way lower output, it doesn't sound half bad.  hope im not destroying the circuit in any way by doing this, (although, dont really see how it could, but anyway)  The mic with that POS transformer has a pretty nice warm mellow sound to it (highs seem rolled off a bit, and with this capsule, its NOT a bad thing)

except that the transformer thats in it now is not the one i intend to use.  quite interesting though how much that tiny little piece of iron and wire changes things.

Latest posts

Back