Need value of part in original 1176 Blue Stripe Weston VU Meter

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjrippe

GDIY Supporter
Greetings,

I have a vintage UA 1176 Blue Stripe that survived Hurricane Sandy in for service.  The meter had a lot of corrosion but I was able to free the movement.  However, the coil that is in circuit immediately off the (+) terminal reads open.  If I jumper it the meter works but obviously not correctly.  It slams from end to end when switching from +4 to GR.  Does anyone know the value of that coil or have one they are willing to take apart and measure?  It's the only thing keeping this storm survivor from being 100%!

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• Meter.jpg
    Meter.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 34
It is a resistor and its value is somewhat less than 3,900 ohms.

Put in a 5K trim pot. Diddle for proper sensitivity. Remove trimmer, measure, and use a high-quality fixed resistor (or combination) within 2% of that value.

If the limiter is *known* to be otherwise healthy (i.e. you connect another true-VU meter and get the appropriate reading on audio and GR), you can diddle the trim-pot to get the same readings.

Without a reference: Add 3600 ohms in series with the meter. Tap this across a fresh "1.5V" battery. Trim to read +2VU.

Hi PRR,

Thanks so much!  As a member of another group pointed out - it is a winding of resistance wire, not a coil per se.  That's what I get for making ASSumptions.  Much obliged.

Mike

Latest posts

Back