Please Please me not!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveP

BBC has recently recorded various current artists doing their versions of all the tracks on Beatles Please Please Me at Abbey Road, 50 years to the day it was done originally.  They had to do it in the same time that the Beatles took and complete in the one day like the original.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21416977

Am I the only one to think it was dire?  I have heard a tribute band in the Cavern do a better job than some of these guys.  The only ones who came anywhere near good were the Stereophonics, Paul Carrack and maybe Joss Stone and Beverly Knight.  Squeeze didn't put in some chord changes on Please Please Me and dropped all the fill-ins so it was total crap and very  dull.

Made me realise yet again, why the Beatles were so far ahead.
best
DaveP

I'm assuming they just want to have fun attempting to recreate it like they did back then...using the same equipment, the same process, etc. Just in fun...

There's so much nostalgia surrounding the beatles and abbey road. !

Desol,
Yes I guess it was for fun, but they were using the present facilities and mics in studio 2.
What surprised me was how little energy there was (stereophonics excluded) in their efforts, it was kind of sanitised and the session guitarists were reading music, that was never going to work for a groove.
best
DaveP

That's the thing....you can have 'everything exactly the same...but without the spirit 'in the performance you'll fall short.

Maybe a side effect of 'doing it for fun' after the fact. Still fun tho...no harm done.  :)

Dave, I had exactly the same feeling - like most of them were just too scared of f*cking up live on the radio to really let go and therefore completely missed the point of it.

Sad lack of balls in today's bands, IMO.

I just listened to it on i-player and I agree it was mostly rubbish apart from the Stereophonics and Beverly Knight ( who really belted out Twist And Shout). The others looked like they were just going through the motions. No life, no vibe. Very disappointing.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back