So what the heck is this thing?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Hammond 8222 organ with a built in "mini" leslie. It has a styrofoam baffle that is belt driven by two motors depending on the speed you want. It sounds really cool, especially if your into the Pink Floyd DSOM thing, I have modified it to accept signals from other devices. A leslie is a must have and probably would not be that difficult to make. Its due to have the bearings lubricated, I'll try to snap some pictures when I have everything apart.

Eric

Well, keep in mind, I'm thinking more in terms of getting one of those cheap Radio Shack or equivalent full-range speakers and putting it on a stick. :green:

Cheap, easy, and readily available parts.

[quote author="jrmintz"]Darren,

I'm going to guess it's the amp from a Hammond tone cabinet, not a Leslie. Do you know the whole story of Hammond and Leslie? Laurent Hammond hated Don Leslie and his products. The problem was that few people really liked the Hammond speakers and that really pissed off Mr. Hammond. I suspect it's the amp from one of those.[/quote]

I will second it (or 5th? :grin: ).
I just sold similar (but on 2A3s). It uses field speakers and requires external pre--phase splitter.

I've actually witnessed a preschooler "invent" a "Leslie" by swinging a music-playing plush toy around her head like an Aborigine bull-roarer! :grin: She was fascinated with the lush three-dimensional tone for almost a full hour until she invented yet another feature of the Leslie--the rotor brake--by releasing the toy which flew across the room into one of her Mom's lamps! :shock: :evil:

--Bob

you know, that thing could be a tone generator. i have a 40's hammond solovox that is basically a tube monosynth w a tube oscillator, filter, vibrato amp, everything tube. the box on ebay doesn't look that far off.

guys....

just keep your eyes in ears open in your home town...

if you really want a leslie or hammond you can find em... and many times for free!!!

a few months ago I scored a mint B3 and 2 leslie cabinets plus a tone cabinet...

for free from a church!

ok, not a tone generator. i just took a second look, and looked at the tone cabinet of the solovox. much different. like you guys stated earlier, it's most likely the amp from a hammond standalone tone cabinet. the solovox has the voice electronics built in to the tone cabinet amp too, thus my conclusion that that there could be the possibility of this thing also being a tone generator, but now i think not.

Scenaria, give you $500 for your b-3, sight unseen? what ya say :razz:
Assuming your in the US I can have a truck gassed in 30 min..... Drove for 17 hours strait to get my last hammond. :twisted:

Aha! Here's an animated drawing of how a Leslie works. Doesn't look too hard...

http://www.keyboardmuseum.org/v_teach/lesliespeaker.html

Back