Apex 460 C8 (output capacitor) recommendations

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilgamesh

I have done a 251 "style" mod to the stock circuit and replaced the tranny and capsule (AMI T14 and Tim Campbell CT12). I have also switched in a few different cap values and types in C8 and notice a (relatively) significant change, which leads me to think that finding the right cap for that position would be a worthwhile search. My main problems are that, firstly it's hard to get audiophile caps in Australia without significant shipping costs and secondly, the majority of caps of appropriate value (1uf - 3.3uf) don't fit in the body.

Anyone had any luck with particular caps in C8? I have tried an Auricap 1uf, a Mundorf MKP 1uf and Mundorf M-Cap 2.2uf. I liked the Auricap best but couldn't fit the body back on so installed it in an iaudio mk47 instead. I preferred the Mundorf MKP tone wise over the other mundorf but liked the bass extension of the other cap's higher value. Without any other options I will stick an MKP 2.2uf in it.

I notice that Mundorf also have an EVO series - I'm thinking I might be able to lower the PCB's and install it above them but is it overkill to look at $30 plus caps in that position?

I'm still playing around with the circuit so would be good to have a few different caps to experiment with other configurations.

Latest posts

Back