Lincoln/DNA

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveP

Just watched the new Lincoln film, I had no idea how complicated the politics was way back then or that the Republicans were an anti slavery party, also needed subtitles to deal with the authentic language in the film,more like English than American at that time ironically.  They were so rude to each other in Congress, a bit of an eyeopener and very amusing.  I need to see it again really.
Also watched a UK TV series about our DNA and how it showed how all Europeans started off black about 140,000 years ago.  The irony with the slavery issue was not lost on me!
I expect most of you already know this, but I found it fascinating how our skin changes colour over time as we go further north.  As the ice gradually receded our ancestors went with it and lost pigment to capture the vitamin D from the decreasing sunlight.  Europeans also interbred with the Neanderthals that were already there (the Nephilim of Genesis) as a consequence all white Europeans (obviously white Americans too) have up to 5% Neanderthal DNA, whereas black Africans do not.  The movement of the Sahara caused the African population to split, some into central and western Africa and some to the Arabian Peninsular and up through the middle east (met first Neanderthals) then on up through Turkey to split East and West to Asia and Europe.  Neaderthals were already white and had ginger hair.  I have/had ginger hair and 20 mins in the sun can give me sunburn, so my ancestors are totally of Northern origins.  Fascinating stuff!
best DaveP

DaveP said:
Just watched the new Lincoln film, I had no idea how complicated the politics was way back then or that the Republicans were an anti slavery party,
I'm sure the modern republican party would love every drop of credit for that, but then was then and now is now. The civil war was a little more complex than that one issue. IIRC Europe was trading with the south (buying cotton+?) so had economic interest sympathetic with them over the North. The South was dependent on slavery to profitably grow cotton which was very labor intensive.  It was even more labor intensive before the cotton gin was invented a half-century before the civil war. 
also needed subtitles to deal with the authentic language in the film,more like English than American at that time ironically.  They were so rude to each other in Congress, a bit of an eyeopener and very amusing.
Politics has always been vulgar, ask Caesar (Et tu brutus?)
I need to see it again really.
I hope it was reasonably accurate... Too many get their history from Hollyweird.
Also watched a UK TV series about our DNA and how it showed how all Europeans started off black about 140,000 years ago.  The irony with the slavery issue was not lost on me!
Slavery was not uniquely done to blacks. The African blacks were sold into slavery predominantly by other blacks, and many europeans participated in and profited from the trade.

I have shared that factoid about how small the DNA difference is between us all, with one of my red neck neighbors and I don't think he believed me, but it was really fun to tell him. ;D  I have had several such discussions with him, but he has been well programmed by his parents and culture, just like they are to consider each other not like them and outside their circle of peers. Then our hunter-gatherer instincts take over to distrust all outsiders (often violently). 
I expect most of you already know this, but I found it fascinating how our skin changes colour over time as we go further north.  As the ice gradually receded our ancestors went with it and lost pigment to capture the vitamin D from the decreasing sunlight. 
yup, evolution happens... I am still waiting for modern medicine to stop bad mouthing sun light. If it wasn't so important, our skin pigmentation wouldn't have adapted to allow more sunlight through. Personally I think mid-winter vacations in Miami (or Brighton ?) should be a deductible medical expense.
Europeans also interbred with the Neanderthals that were already there (the Nephilim of Genesis) as a consequence all white Europeans (obviously white Americans too) have up to 5% Neanderthal DNA, whereas black Africans do not.  The movement of the Sahara caused the African population to split, some into central and western Africa and some to the Arabian Peninsular and up through the middle east (met first Neanderthals) then on up through Turkey to split East and West to Asia and Europe.  Neaderthals were already white and had ginger hair.  I have/had ginger hair and 20 mins in the sun can give me sunburn, so my ancestors are totally of Northern origins.  Fascinating stuff!
best DaveP
Viking?

Knowledge is good. 

JR

Hi JR,
My wife bought me a DNA kit some years back (she must have had some doubts) for my birthday, turns out I'm Rb1 which is Irish Celt mainly, most common on west coast of Ireland, but probably not Viking.  This must be from the dark ages as my family has been traced back to 1600 in England, at least.
best
DaveP

Back