Trafo Shielding inquiry

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sr1200

I have a unit whose transformer is a little "too close for comfort".  At higher gain settings there is an audible hum on channel 2 (closest to the tx)  I ordered some shielding from Don Audio, but the shield is a little too high to fit in a 1u case.  Would there be any problem with trimming the mu metal down length wise to bring the height down?  (or should i go tuna can?)

... to be honest Mumetal gets cut, bent and soldered here! It may in theory reduce its screening ability a little - but in practice it still works!

if it is pwr transformer hum, you could go old school and inject more hum out of phase to cancel it out,

usually the pwr trans will generate a constant amount of hum, so we can use this trick,

that way you could keep the mu metal for another project without messing it up,

CJ, the hum is caused by the proximity between the output TX of the channel and the power TX (unfortunately, the only other option would be to get a bigger case at this point) but would what you're talkin about work for this situation?  (id love to know how to do that in general lol)

just make a voltage divider from a pot and a a few resistor, wire both ends to your 6.3 heater winding or other source of 50/60 cps, inject the wiper lead into the input of the signal xfmr and turn the pot till the hum is gone, better use a cap so the dcr does not get seen by the xfmr,

Back