best way to implement 4 band EQ in mixer channel

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noviygera

Hello,

First post here, I'd like to ask for some help building a 3 channel DJ mixer -- one thing at a time. EQ section. Priority is sound quality, as I can get a decent DJ mixer (Ecler or A&H)
It's easy to find good phono stages. However, my mixer will also need a 4 band EQ (+8/-30dB) per channel. Let's say something similar to this model (which my friend has):  A&H Xone:62

What is the best known, no-compromise way to implement a 3/4 band EQ (+8/-30dB) in a channel?
VCA?
No gain, only passive attenuation?
Transformers?

I would even go as far to say that cost is of relative importance only. This is an "all out" project.
I currently use Ecler Nuo 3.0 mixer for DJing and Copland CTA-301 for music listening. I would like to bridge that gap with one solution.

Please let me know. Thank you.
Herman

gyraf said:
What about the calrec eq? That would give you much more control than a simple 4-band graphic

Jakob E.

If I am correct, this adds complexity to the signal path = not good for sound quality. I don't need the extra functionality of calrec eq, just need a simple but very well executed 4band EQ.

Perhaps optocouplers?
Passive EQ that in the center position is actually attenuating by 6 db. Then, when you turn the knob to +6 db, the attanuator actually brings the gain from -6 to 0. Is this a good idea?

Herman

Jakob,

on another thought, you're right! I can use that EQ, as long as it sounds good. How does it compare to Neumann W492? Sonically?
Also, is there anyone who can build 3 working boards for me? I am in Chicago.

Thank you,
Herman

Why +8/-30? I seems to recall my old mixers being +/-15 or something.

One thing about dj mixers is that the eq is used more for effect (ie. Kill the bass while cranking the mids), and not really a fixing/mixing, parametric eq. I'd personally go with a fixed 3 band inductor eq, since I always thought the a&h 4 band was too much eq (but I played techno so take that with a grain of salt :) )

But if you though about the eq as an effects box, a simple 3 band inductor eq good for for cutting bass (which is a must in mixing) and that will boost without sounding harsh would do a killer job. Think api 553 with a tighter Q.

Now add on sweepable highpass and lowpass filters to get the cool resonant filter sound like the pioneer mixers. You could also add 'eq cut' switches like some of the stantons, which come in handy at times. You could also add a switched eq section for specific effects, like say a telephone setting, have it completely seperate on the master section for global eq, of course make it switchable in/out toggle so it can be used as just an effect. Or possibly make it switched to be the sidechain eq for a master buss compressor so you can pump the living crap out of the set. Just a few ideas..

I would definintely do a 3 band fixed inductor eq with sweepable filters though 8)

Good thoughts!

I do need to have a DJ mixer with kill for each band. Fixed 4 bands OR variable 3 band would be very interesting in my application.

Is there a source for api 553?

Is there a variable 3 band EQ available?

Is there a 3 band inductor EQ available?

Thanks
Herman

Latest posts

Back