C12 capsule in a U47 head basket .....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary o

Anyone tried a c12 type capsule in a U47 type basket thought might be nice combo ......

Hi Radiobug have you tried any other capsules in that body  ......... do you have a U47 circuit like maxes MK47 in the body, my Tim Cambell casule is in a lollipop head on a Ela M251 circuit, sounds great.... my equ47 body has the capsule robbed from the lollipop head a Violet Vin 67 ( meant to sound like a U67) and  i guess it does... similar to Tim Cambell but with a neuman mid range but was lot of money tho .... making the Tim Cambell brilliant value ....

I tried the Tim Cambell still in the lolly head but with the MK47 circuit & to me sounds about the same as with the Ela M251 circuit...

I would like to try as Radiobug has, the Tim in the head basket of the equ47

I dont think Im actually a fan of the K47 M7 sound really tho sadly dont have real ones to play with....

I have the cheap RK47 & quite expensive Lomo seems to be copy of K47 they sound very similar to each other BUT I just find them dull sounding really bit wooly, I was sooo dissappointed when I heard the first one I got I actually thought it was difective so I got the next ( I feel like Iv just said the king doesnt have any cloths on like in that story)
Maybe a real or better copy would sound nicer but Im not spending the cash, I think the Tim Cambell is brilliant for the money, I love my Vin 67 but at £600 wouldnt buy another..

Thanks

Hey,

Right now my Campbell CT12 is paired with the gyraf g7 circuit with a mullard ef86. I have to say it sounds fantastic! I have a peluso k47 capsule in an equ47 body (also g7 circuit with 60v polarization mod) and it sound great, as well as the peluso ck12 and it sounded pretty good...different but it had it's uses. I recently bought a few more equ47's and I'm going to try out several different circuits and cap's including a thiersch m7 and maybe one of the cathedral pipes m7's.  The CT12 sounded awesome on a grand piano recording we did recently at the university. Also, did live strings and the detail was great. But, where I really see it excel is at lead vocals...pushes right out into the mix without much eq'ing or boosting. I've never tried the RK47  or any m7 but am interested to try them.

Cool I had a G7 circuit sounding great but something went wrong , I must put that right soon ........ I just build a Ela M251 circuit but with 5840 tube similar to AC701 & a ElaM251 with 6072 & also a M47 but again with 5840 instead of AC701....Im about to make the MGM Church mic circuit to try But really so far most of the circuits Ive tried sound good but pretty much the same it really does come down to the capsule ...... I would like to try more capsules but cant afford them all haha .... Im going to try an Oktava MK101 capsule (Mk219/319) on my tube mic circuits tomorrow

Radiobug do you find the U47 head basket adds a magic or a flavour to the sound, I dont think there is much difference myself really seems soooo much hype about old mics really, love the look of the old mics and grills tho

The Church mic sounds cool. It really does come down to the capsule. The head basket doesn't change the sound much to my ears. Maybe a little in the higher frequencies but I am definitely not an expert in that field. They sure do look cool though, and sometimes that helps whoever is singing. (Magic! LOL!)  The equ47 is one of the best all around bodies for the price. They're very well built and look great...I have 6 of them. I like how they are really light and they don't weigh down the mic stand...so wherever you place them, they stay without jacking with them forever.  I've built my own mic bodies...got some cool ones in the shop right now...not sure i'll ever get them done...some stereo LDC's that will be cool for room...and whatever else I guess. Someday I'll get them done.

Its easy to talk yourself into hearing an improvment in a sound specially if a mic guru tells you there is some magic & you have just spent cash on the improvment& even if the mic looks better it seems to sound better haha but there no harm in that .... those equ47 bodies are great ....

Baout to test my church circuit..... que the MGM magic ........

Cool Im finding the TC12 & my Violet capsule are sounding very similar to each other in my experimental circuits here .....I was expecting a little more sparkle that I keep reading about with C12 ish capsules but it still sounds good ....

Tha MGM Church mic is alive tho need to adjust B+ its 249VDC at moment with adjust to 275V next...... using an original T14/1 for now

The CK12 magic mostly comes out when you start eq'ing and blending into a mix.

In simple side-by-side comparisons, it can easily sound less exiting than it's chinese rivals.

Jakob E.

Haha!!! I've had a lot of Chinese rivals...but i agree with Jakob...none of them sound as good as my ct12/g7 in a mix. It's night and day. The detail is there without the sizzling distortion. 

Cheers fellas.....Im one of the very few has has a china capsule, tho I do have a ADK Vienna with its plastic version of C12 capsule but Im quite impressed with it.

I don't mean to bash Chinese mics or capsules though. I couldn't have made any music when I first started out without them. When I started building my own microphones I quickly learned that the capsule really is the most important ingredient. 

I know this is old...but it sounds like somebody found a 47 style headbasket. i really would like one for my apex 460 mod. anyone know where i could get one?

Latest posts

Back