Your favourite "colour/dirt" DI trannies on the market?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe_caithness

hey guys,

I am doing a bit of research into transformers easily available for making DI boxes, just for fun at home.

I have spotted an OEP and an alarmingly similar Vigortronix tranny on Farnell, and am looking for something around that price range, maybe upto 20 quid a tranny, but not the price range of your Sowters and Jensens.

Any cool stuff I should be looking at?

thanks!

Hi Joe,

I used the OEP for a Bo Hansen DI box and I love it for both recording and reinforcing a bass through the F.O.H pa.
It has a nice coloration in the Bo Hansen design.

I'd recommend it for the money  There are others of course.....

Rgds
Pete

For the ultimate experience in lo-fi, dirt, color, just use some cheap mains 220/24V trafo. Be sure to shield it, or else it will pick up mucho RFI and magnetic dirt.

you might try a Beyer mic transformer, it has a very small core, easier to saturate with 100 mv guitar pickup, plenty of henries at the guitar end, if you drove it with a couple of fets, it would probably sound pretty good,

Having a read on the Bo DI, thinking of doing one of these with an OEP, then a passive OEP DIY recording equipment style and comparing, then I can try switching the trannies in each

Latest posts

Back